Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie Arrowhead Hunter from Texas

Good evening,

I have been fascinated with finding arrowheads since I was a little kid only to have never found anything. My family owns a small piece of property outside of Camp Wood, TX which resides on the Edwards Plateau. I’ve read about Indian history of the area and knew I could potentially find some hidden artifacts. Well I’m excited to say that I have finally found what I believe to be my first arrowhead and then some. A total of five broken pieces all within 10-15 feet from each other. I’m absolutely thrilled with what I have found and I’m hooked. I want to learn more so I can hopefully find more. Everything I have read or people I’ve talked too has said for each piece to be so close together a potential campsite could be close by. I don’t know this for sure but at this particular location where these pieces were found it looks like a dried creek bed or use to be a natural spring. I’ve always thought it to be a place where water would collect or runoff when it would rain and that maybe true but my mind keeps going back to it as a possibility. So after saying all of this I am looking for any tips and advice to help me figure this area out. Thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	201FC072-2AC1-4059-8393-3181E0EFA55B.jpeg
Views:	270
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	362012 Here are some pictures of my finds. The big white rock I don’t know what it is exactly but it looks like it was worked on. I didn’t find that piece where I found the broken arrowhead pieces. That was about 5 feet from the house which is about 300-400 yards away from the broken arrowheads location. Also I included a picture of what I believe to be flint chips that was found at the same location of the broken arrowhead pieces.

Comment

Welcome
      Well you definitely found them! Congratulations.
      Lots of great advice in this section of the forum, take a little time and read through some of the previous posts.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Welcome to The Forum Bulldog82 and nice Introduction.
        http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

The "white" rock is definitely an artifact and the white you are seeing is the patina. Underneath it is probably a similar color to the other items you found. It could have been a utilized tool, or just a preform. Two of the bases look like a type called a Frio, which would fit well with you proximity to the Frio River.

Welcome and congrats on the finds!!!
          Kevin - North/Central Texas

Comment

• Bulldog82
            Bulldog82 commented
            Editing a comment
            Well hopefully I can figure out something. The property my family owns is 25 acres basically on top of a hill. Kinda half flat with gradual slopes on the front and sides of the property but sloping aggressive upward towards the back of the property. For six years I’ve been looking for arrowheads and I can’t tell you how many times I’ve walked through the area I had found these at. We had a small shower from this past front and I just so happen to see them.

• CTex
            CTex commented
            Editing a comment
            Most of my finds are on the sides and towards the bottom of the hill, I rarely find worked pieces on top.

• Bulldog82
            Bulldog82 commented
            Editing a comment
            At the bottom of the hill is where I found these. Slightly higher than the spot of what I believe held water at one time.

Welcome from South Carolina

Comment

Thank y’all for the welcome.

Comment

Welcome and it might be worth your while to try a little digging around.

Comment

You can put a date on some of your finds Bulldog. I believe you're hooked - nothing to do now but feed your addiction..

Projectile Points of Texas

If the women don\'t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

Comment

• Bulldog82
                  Bulldog82 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you for the link. I have also ordered a book called Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians from Amazon that should be arriving today.

If I get sometime tonight I may take better pictures of each piece and post them. It takes a little bit longer since I have to resize the pictures and I can’t just upload them from my phone.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	619B1CBF-1D4F-4E0B-9398-F82088501918.jpeg
Views:	273
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	362330 Pictures of the white rock found by the house.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Front and back pictures of broken arrowheads.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Last broken arrowhead.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Bulldog82; 04-18-2019, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Welcome! Sweet finds, the white rock is either a knife blade or scraper. And your arrowheads are pretty awesome too! Thanks for sharing!!
                        If both artifact and hunter lie idle, they will not meet.

Comment

That's a very encouraging set of brokes. Keep looking and you'll find a whole one. Easy to agree with others that warn you of addiction, especially if you are the kind to want to read and understand what you've discovered.
                          Happy hunting.
                          California

Comment

Working...
                          X