• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldog82
    started a topic Newbie Arrowhead Hunter from Texas

Newbie Arrowhead Hunter from Texas

Good evening,

I have been fascinated with finding arrowheads since I was a little kid only to have never found anything. My family owns a small piece of property outside of Camp Wood, TX which resides on the Edwards Plateau. I’ve read about Indian history of the area and knew I could potentially find some hidden artifacts. Well I’m excited to say that I have finally found what I believe to be my first arrowhead and then some. A total of five broken pieces all within 10-15 feet from each other. I’m absolutely thrilled with what I have found and I’m hooked. I want to learn more so I can hopefully find more. Everything I have read or people I’ve talked too has said for each piece to be so close together a potential campsite could be close by. I don’t know this for sure but at this particular location where these pieces were found it looks like a dried creek bed or use to be a natural spring. I’ve always thought it to be a place where water would collect or runoff when it would rain and that maybe true but my mind keeps going back to it as a possibility. So after saying all of this I am looking for any tips and advice to help me figure this area out. Thanks.

• Bulldog82
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you. It’s been pretty exciting for me.

• Hoss
    replied
    Congraulations those are some nice finds

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog82
    replied
    UPDATE...

So this past weekend my family and I went to our property in the hill country. After doing some work around the property I was able to go do some investigating. I do believe what I use to think to be a water runoff is in fact an old creek or spring. I was also able to find two broke tips. One I think could’ve been a knife ( the brown one ) and the other a spear tip or something similar ( the white one ) I’m hoping some of y’all can share what ya think they may be. I also have been looking for info on midden’s and examples of fire popped rock. I think may have found one but not sure, it was close to where I found the white tipped point but it’s just a random dirt mound so I’m curious if that is something. I have attached some pictures of the new points. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• tomf
    replied
    That's a very encouraging set of brokes. Keep looking and you'll find a whole one. Easy to agree with others that warn you of addiction, especially if you are the kind to want to read and understand what you've discovered.
    Happy hunting.

Leave a comment:

• eannis6
    replied
    Welcome! Sweet finds, the white rock is either a knife blade or scraper. And your arrowheads are pretty awesome too! Thanks for sharing!!

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog82
    replied
    Last broken arrowhead.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bulldog82; 04-18-2019, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog82
    replied
    Front and back pictures of broken arrowheads.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog82
    replied
    Click image for larger version

Name:	619B1CBF-1D4F-4E0B-9398-F82088501918.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	362330 Pictures of the white rock found by the house.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog82
    replied
    If I get sometime tonight I may take better pictures of each piece and post them. It takes a little bit longer since I have to resize the pictures and I can’t just upload them from my phone.

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog82
    commented on 's reply
    Thank you for the link. I have also ordered a book called Stone Artifacts of Texas Indians from Amazon that should be arriving today.

• Bulldog82
    commented on 's reply
    At the bottom of the hill is where I found these. Slightly higher than the spot of what I believe held water at one time.

• Olden
    replied
    You can put a date on some of your finds Bulldog. I believe you're hooked - nothing to do now but feed your addiction..

Projectile Points of Texas
    http://www.projectilepoints.net/Sear...as_Search.html

Leave a comment:

• CTex
    commented on 's reply
    Most of my finds are on the sides and towards the bottom of the hill, I rarely find worked pieces on top.

• robshap
    replied
    Welcome and it might be worth your while to try a little digging around.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X