Having a hard time finding artifacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a hard time finding artifacts

I have been to about ten different sites over the past two weeks. They have all been rivers/creeks, as I am just focusing on surface hunting. I've only found one biface preform and a itty bitty piece of pottery. I thought I would have found more (maybe my expectations are too high?).

I'm in Petersburg, VA. My only source of finding new sites is google maps as I don't know anyone in the area who is into artifact hunting (I just moved to VA from NY about a year ago).

Any tips, tricks, or pointers would be greatly appreciated! Or, if you are from the area, I'd love to meet up and learn from each other! It seems like most people keep their sites to themselves.

Hi relic_lady I started this hobby not to long ago didn't know where to start either. If there is one thing I could suggest to help you on your journey is to find a good plowed agricultural field near water. Just ask a farmer most I've encountered are super friendly. You might get denied but keep asking and eventually you will find your spots.
    N.C. from the mountains to the sea

Comment

I google earth’d your location. It looks like there’s tons of farmland not too far away, north west of Petersburg. Look for plowed fields with natural water sources close by. Then knock on some doors and ask permission to walk the rows. Or if your hunting waterways try searching the gravel bars and erosion spots. Good luck!
      call me Jay, i live in R.I.

Comment

Be patient , it takes time to focus.. I went 13 times when I first started hunting before ever finding anything. I was very young and come to find out, there were artifacts everywhere. I just needed to get in tune ! JJ
        Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I get a lot of no you can’t walk the property but if you get a yes it will boost you up to ask more often. What I do is find a area that I think is good like a creek with gravel in it. Sandy or muddy bottoms aren’t good. Then I look at the homes and ask and even if they aren’t the owners I then ask if they know who does own the property. Most will know in the area who owns what. Then I look them up on the net and get the address or phone number or both. I like to address them in person instead of over the phone. I then ask permission and offer something in trade for the kindness. I do favors or whatever they might need I have a truck so sometimes I will do a pickup for them or something like that. Most people have hobbies so I figure out what they want and give a gift once a year to insure permission for the next year. Each owner has there rules to follow. On the first visit always ask where you can park. Good luck
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Keep going out and lookin' down. The more you go the more you will find and tune in. Some collectors have access to so many sites, and really, really good sites. Some collectors, even here lol, have killer artifacts coming off their own properties all the time. Don't be disheartened! Your expectations are not too high. I think most of "us", at least the people who post here most, have the same passion for Archaeology and collecting. Most casual collectors (me!) do not find a lot of artifacts all of the time. But...if you casually collect over decades that's another matter. It WILL add up.
            Last edited by tomclark; 04-28-2019, 11:45 AM.
            Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I have about 2000 acres and 8 creeks with Permisson and looking for more 😃

• Jethro355
              Jethro355 commented
              Editing a comment
              This is the truth. Keep going out, and keep looking down.

My best buddy(Lt. Dan) is my number one hunting partner, and he went with me for about 15 years before he found his first complete point. My mom used to ask him “are you even looking down?” He finds them regularly now, and the place we find them is the same places we’ve have always looked, something just clicked inside his big ole head and now he “sees” them.

Professor Shellman
            Tampa Bay

Comment

finding artifacts is not a easy thing, it takes a keen eye and a slow walk. finding a spot to hunt can be the hardest part. when you do get some spots to hunt try to pick up all the flint/stones you see. the way i go about it is (its a artifact until i pick it up and see its not) i have picked up more leaves, sticks, tree bark, washed clay, brick chunks, beaver chewed twigs, rocks etc. look for flaking on things and don't get caught up just looking for color. most arrowheads are dull in color because of weathering. look for tiny tips and barbs and blade edges because arrowheads love to hide. as many artifacts as i find i still come home empty handed most of the time. always walk with a flipping stick and use it. many of times i have flipped up a nice arrowhead by only seeing a tiny dot or something that just didnt look right/good. never let footprints in a field or creek disappoint you or make you turn back. 2 of my best blades were found right besides someones tracks and one of them was the big benton blade i just posted, they walked within 5 feet of it.

Comment

Total newby at this game, but I saw a trick mudlarkers (shoreline beachcombers/junk collectors/odd ducks) use to dig or pry out potential treasure... a pointed mason's trowel. I have used one and it saves digging with your fingers, which stay dryer and don't get cut up. Rather than having to get your fat finger under a potential find just put the tip of the trowel under and flip it out or over. Once you get the hang of it you can pick up the piece and flip it up to your other hand for inspection.

Comment

In my field hunting experiences over the years I have one regret....there was this fella,carried a clam rake, when he found a point in a field he raked...over the years he found quite a few more(moral why wait for them to come to you)...have fun....fla.boy.
                  Floridaboy.

Comment

I try to find the archeological survey reports for my local rivers and reservoirs, find where the camps that have already been discovered and reported are and I start looking for areas on google maps within close proximity that I can get permission to hunt. I was having the same issue and the first place I found based on the archeological surveys has paid off It is the only place I have been lucky enough to find any points. I am going to start trying some different areas based off of what I am finding in the survey reports. Hope this helps, I have been at it for just over a year trying to get on creeks or rivers to no avail and finally started getting points once I started getting closer to pre discovered sites.

Comment

A long stick helps from having to bend over and flip every stone ... saves your back. Good luck. Quick story ... i picked up a few point (from unknown locations) at a flea market for like $3 each. I gave away one to an acquaintance for letting me cut through his yard to get to a creek that is a known site. I've found 3 or 4 points there so it was worth it. Try the same with property owners. Lastly, find a local museum and go often to meet people.
                      Evan in NJ
                      New Jersey

Comment

New to this site, but been hunting for about 12 yrs. Like everybody else says on here for your better fortune. I like to use a dandalion picker to turn over things of interest. Saves on the ole back.

Comment

Creeks can be frustrating. I have a few here in Ohio that give some nice points up... every now and then. If the creek has gravel bars, return to them after every weather event. A good rain stirs it up and exposes new stuff. I have one spot that denies me often but it has washed up a couple sweet Big Sandy points. It is worth the wait and I'm outside enjoying the day.
                          Good Luck, fldwlkr
                          Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Working...
                          X