Debitage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debitage

If I am not finding any, is it pretty safe to suggest moving on to a new area? How often will you find points without finding debitage?

The largest points I have are off of hunting paths that we go on ourselves . So where there are streams and animals would go we hunt for deer and so did the NA . But the easy sweet stuff is chips , pottery that’s a sure camp site and much easier .Its not as often but it does happen . It’s all about your area and where habitation once was . Try to look up some of those resources . I know this is a vague answer but each area is so unique . The beach finds to people that dig , creeks and rock bars it can be as exciting as frustrating .

Comment

Hmm, high areas then sandy areas. Should be burnt/ fire rock on camp sites. Random points can be found in areas that are not camp sites but not many. Per usual creeks too, a bend in a river....Luck be with ye !
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh yeah, usually I find the paleo stuff in low areas, the only reason I can think that they camped in low areas is to avoid cold wind in winter. Otherwise, I’d think it would be a bad idea. But here they did so...

The area I have permission to hunt is on the eastern bank of the Mobile Delta, a little bit before it empties into the bay. It is a series of upland hills well above flood plain...the first high and dry areas in relation to the river. I have not found any flowing creeks on the property but rather several hardwood drains and beaver ponds that always have water.

This is a wooded area and no ag fields.

This spot is roughly in between a civil war site and the bottle creek mounds which are in the heart of the delta.

I have not lived in the area for very long. I am currently researching historical travel routes and local tribes in the area.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Sounds very interesting, your study .. Perhaps a metal detector is in order. Out here where I am , the routes the NA people used, most have pavement on them now...

Like Tam said there are places that were prime hunting grounds for hundreds if not thousands of years and they are not at camp or village. The best and most points I have found were in smaller box-ended ridges near creeks/water. Whole, lost hunting points. These spots are different now than back then though.
      Professor Shellman
      Tampa Bay

Comment

My luck really turned around when I learned from some old timers where EXACTLY to look...which fields and wooded sites and creek bank terraces were areas of habitation. I also have my best luck, by far, in ag fields. There is simply not enough soil showing in most wooded sites to give up artifacts. The one wooded site where I have had luck is on a slight hill above a swamp, a well-known site for collectors, and I found flint all over the bank that drops down to the marshy area - the bank is a midden (trash pile) where the NA folk threw their broken pottery and chert flakes. Debitage & artifacts were right on top of the soil, just under the fallen leaves. Found a beautiful scraper in the soil around the roots of a fallen down tree as well. All my best sites are on the edge of a marsh and in the vicinity of a river known as a NA highway. The ag fields are def easier to hunt after they have been tilled or chisel plowed. Make friends with some local farmers! I have never found a point where there has not been debitage.

Comment

Also, if you are hunting wooded sites, early spring before all the plants grow up is way better than high summer. Wear your tick repellent!

Comment

Working...
          X