Which field ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which field ?

Opinions please. Which field would you hunt first? I'm going to hunt along the Wabash river in Ohio this evening and I have two fields to hunt arrowheads in. The first field lies slightly above river level by about 8 feet and follows the river bends the other field sets on a rise about 30 feet higher than the low field and sets back about 150 yards from the low field. Excuse my artwork but maybe my sketch will clarify this. Which field would you start out in ?

Which way is north?
    Fayette County, southern Illinois

Comment

• Tkthorn
      Tkthorn commented
      Editing a comment
      Fields on east side of river. The river flows north, northwest.

• Charles Jones
      Charles Jones commented
      Editing a comment
      The south sides of hills have been good for me.

I would hunt both fields. he one along the river is the terrace field, and would have plenty of artifacts, however, many of these would be covered by ancient or recent flood sediments. It would depend if the farmer plowed it deep enough to get below these sediments. But the Natives would have allowed for this and camped on higher ground, using the river terrace only during those periods that didn't have flooding. It would mostly be a matter of how deep the farmer plowed.
    http://www.ravensrelics.com/

Comment

• Tkthorn
      Tkthorn commented
      Editing a comment
      I plan on hunting both fields, just trying to decide where to start.

Sound advice and don't just walk them once walk them a few times. After a good rain, after they are worked, etc. You might not see artifacts the first time but you may in following walks.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Tkthorn
      Tkthorn commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, I've been walking the same fields over and over again for going on 30 years. These two fields are new ones that I recently acquired permission to hunt. I m just looking for personal opinions as to if it were you, which field would you start in first the low field along the river or the high field back away from the river ?

I’d hunt the field closest to the water source first personally. Just my personal opinion though. Quite a bit of the natives lives revolved around those water sources so if these fields are new areas for you, I think the safe bet for at least some finds would be closest to water simply because they relied on it so much back in those days; and so did the prey they hunted.
    Johnson county Missouri

Comment

• NOTCHEDNate
      NOTCHEDNate commented
      Editing a comment
      I think it’s more of a guessing game as to where the natives actually camped/settled the further from water you get. Whereas with a field by water even if there’s not a big camp right along it, you know plenty of natives walked that same field by the water to get to the water.

I don't know how big these fields are, but when you've never hunted such sites, you have to do the legwork and walk both, looking for flakes, looking for the signs of a camp, etc. That takes time, probably more then one visit, dependent on whether we're talking 20 acres or hundreds of acres. I'd look above the flood plain myself, but I would have to walk both until I knew just what I was dealing with.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I'm a creek hunter so subscribe to the idea that everything ends up there eventually.

Also, as Nate says, you can't be sure where people where settled, but you know they used the water's edge.

I view flood action as generally positive for hunting artifacts.

I reckon as much washes out as gets buried, and each year things re-arrange themselves allowing more opportunity for discovery.

For those reasons I'd pick the lower field and creek bank.

Of course you should search both top and bottom, if you have time.

California

Comment

I have a creek that runs thru my land. I find points in all my fields i search but I find more points on the high terrace above the creek.
        South Carolina

Comment

In this area I find older things closer to the water source and not so old things higher up. I believe the water was lower like it is now and higher than it is now 1000 years ago
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
          X