Area research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Area research

So I just stumbled across a zeemap someone made of Native American sites in Ohio. The first pic is the state, the second is zoomed in to a location on the Scioto river. Umm, I knew I was lucky to be in a state with some activity, but this is a little overwhelming. Every icon is a documented site. It has mounds, burials, cache locations and known camp sites. Only issue with it is when you zoom in the icon keeps getting smaller so hard to pinpoint an exact site.
    Central Ohio

Also earthworks, not just cone mounds. Several within a short bike ride of my house. Most are in peoples back yards or what are now parking lots of local businesses. But close to streams that I might have to check out.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Zeemaps.com

I think we are pretty clueless as to how much of this country was utilized by and lived on over thousands of years. Cool map.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Josie
      Josie commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you Greg. I hunt portions of 100 acres and there are points in every field. I know this area was designated as an old NA camp but sure seems more like a village. I find artifacts in my garden also. 😁 I think there were more NAs during the Arcahic Period than what my history classes taught me.

• Tam
      Tam commented
      Editing a comment
      Boy you hit that nail on the head !! You know my saying when we start pulling up these roads and old cities in 1000 years big surprise .

Just doing some supposing here...if 10,000,000 people lived here for 10,000 years, with an average lifespan of 50 years, then 2,000,000,000,000 people have lived and died here...and if each one of them lost 10 artifacts over a lifetime....then add another zero to that number.

for the record, I’m pulling all these numbers out of my rear end. I’ve heard lots of numbers tossed around over the years about the population of North America at the time of first contact, and I’ve based my calculations loosely on that, and a rough approximation of lifespan.

i think, aside from places that obvious dead zones for whatever reason, most of this country is an Indian site.
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      I've heard the estimated peak population may have been as many as 57 million across North America at one time. Crazy to think about. People are now thinking the Amazon was city after city. The jungle just swallowed up the evidence in the past few hundred years. Lots of food and fresh water...people are going to thrive.

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve seen some of the LiDAR from the Amazon, and it’s crazy how big some of the cities were, and none had any idea....

• carybreeef108
      carybreeef108 commented
      Editing a comment
      So true. Keep looking down, thats my motto! A year ago I bought a complete tear down house on a really small lot in Raleigh NC. During the early renovations I found 30 or 40 broken point, tips and some flakes. Getting into the foundation drain work and grading they just started popping up like mushrooms. Today alone I found 30 or 40 parts and pieces and a few hole points. (also a few civil war bullets). Looks like morrow mountain and similar age stuff. I am no expert, but clearly there was a lot of activity here, and when walking streams or fields in this county and adjacent ones I almost always find something. I agree with the population approximations. While we will never know actual numbers, if the first peoples arrived 15-20k years ago, and within a few thousand years had been everywhere, and other than bone and possibly native copper, it was all stone. On a side note, my first year of boy scouts my scoutmaster told me. Dont bother looking they are all found, this is in 1980. Boy was he wrong!!!!

I agree with all of you. By happenstance, I live near one of the top experts in ground penetrating radar, I was lucky enough to here him talk about his work . He maps areas on his own time in an effort to document vanishing sites. He told me he finds new earthworks constantly. Over 10,000 in ohio now. Surprisingly, he says a lot of good information is still in the soil on these locations. Sometimes just the dirt above ground is disturbed and lost. I am beginning to suspect they were pretty much everywhere, at least for short periods, repeatedly over the past 12,000+ years.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      The site in NE Arkansas known as the Sloan site is allegedly the oldest cemetery documented in North America, going back some 10k years, I believe, and the burials there are six feet deep. That’s way below the reach of any plow.
      I have a friend who went to Iraq to help with the software on a GpR unit they were using to document a huge site, I believe it was the biblical city of Sodom, and I have begged to borrow her equipment for a week or two.😁

I think we’ve only scratched the surface in most of the country.

I've Never head of zeemaps. How can I search for one on my area? Or a link to the specific map you've listed?

Comment

Its a little tricky. I think they are a business application that an individual puts together. Consolidating data into a location map. Luckily someone did it for NA in Ohio. I would start by typing in your area, Native American then a coma, then the term zeemaps. See what comes up.
      Central Ohio

Comment

• SRLarson
        SRLarson commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, I managed to find the Ohio one since I'm close to OH anyway. Interesting. I wonder if it is a group collaboration effort of all the archaeology divisions, surely one individual can't do all that work? Curious if you investigate any of the sites as to how accurate this info is.

• flintguy
        flintguy commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, it's a lot of information, I would guess it was input by more than one person. In my area, I know of one popular earthwork that is not on this page, but other than that, the rest are there. Probably about 90% accurate.

Very interesting . Some day we will have very advanced scans and all values and religions that stop discovery will be in the past .
      That is when everything will be revealed . Just scientifically hippying out here .

Comment

• SRLarson
        SRLarson commented
        Editing a comment
        Lol I am right there with you. Hopefully within my lifetime but who knows!

I have that in my favorites as well.

Comment

I wish they could lidar the whole state. Newark earthworks has been done.

Comment

Working...
        X