Underwater viewing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Underwater viewing

Has anyone tried an underwater camera like this for creek hunting? I’ve found that my plexiglass bottomed bucket has limitations in over two feet of water.

I've never used a underwater viewer......are you successful with them? Would you suggest using them anytime your on the water? Do you have any finds to share that were found using a viewer?
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

• CaseyP
      CaseyP commented
      Editing a comment
      Just purchase the one linked. Attached camera to a broomstick. The next two days I’m hunting. I will let you know

• CaseyP
      CaseyP commented
      Editing a comment
      If you are talking a more traditional viewer then yes, I’ve had luck. All but two of my finds have been made using a 5-gallon bucket fitted with a plexiglass bottom. Clear creek it is the perfect tool until water gets around two feet and light can become issue. I have attached a flashlight to the bucket for this trip—a waterproof one.

• CaseyP
      CaseyP commented
      Editing a comment
      And I did post pics of my small collections. Forum topic first finds from about a week ago. My best piece, a big biface, was found using the bucket on my last trip. I’ll post the pics below

Heck yeah....sounds good....interested to see what u find
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

At least that way you won’t have to worry about big snapper turtles cause you can see them before you reach
      NW Georgia,

Comment

I’ve seen guys using a piece of 4” pvc about 4-5’ long, depending on person’s height...with a lexan lens silicone’d to One end and a diving mask seal attached to the other. They were using it to find gold nuggets in a creek, but I would imagine the theory is the same.

id be interested to see how your camera works out.👍👍
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

I thought about that. The creeks I walk flow pretty quickly. I currently use a 5-gallon bucket with plexiglass. Back-breaking. The water resistance and the light in deeper water are the hurdles. This camera has the diameter of a 50 cent piece and a light. Assuming I don't fall and get the display wet (a very real concern--some real slick areas around bedrock), I should be able to see some things very clearly for the first time. One creek tomorrow and I will post if I have time.

Comment

Here is the setup

Comment

One time I found a big igloo cooler and cut the bottom off and put plexiglass on it. One of my friends called it the glass bottom boat cause it floats. It was 3 ft long. I tied a rope to the handle and the to my kayak. Worked great but sure was heavy to carry. I ended up throwing it away a bucket is much lighter. Hope you’re camera works
              NW Georgia,

Comment

These are from previous trips. Most from underwater bucket viewer. Speaking of turtles earlier, check out my petrified turtle

Comment

• SRLarson
                  SRLarson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That turtle is so cool!

• CaseyP
                  CaseyP commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. The shell is peeling. Any idea how to seal it?

Fail. It scans too small an area and if you did see something you’d have to have someone right at your side to scoop for you. Difficult to perceive size of objects on creek floor. I had camera against Thecreek bottom an thought I was looking at quarter sized gravel and it was pea-sized. I went back and got my bucket. Worst of all: two of us walked 5 hours and got skunked

Comment

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mad props for trying.

• Jethro355
                  Jethro355 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Here’s a pic of the thing I was trying to describe earlier....

• clovisoid
                  clovisoid commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep, like Jethro wrote, awesome job on trying.

Comment

That was what I was toying with when I got the camera idea. Does it have light? Any ideas how to attach light? I Velcrod a scuba flashlight to my bucket but it didn’t seem to help much. Maybe an angle issue. The two creeks I walk are pretty clear but there is some sand moving and visibility drops as you get two feet or so down.

Comment

• Jethro355
                    Jethro355 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    The ones I saw them using had some LeD lights taped to the pipe, like the pen-light type flashlights....

Good try on the turtle post it in the fossil forum then ask your question on a sealer I’m sure they will know, cool finds
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Different topic: how often do you search your sites? I only have two sites, both spring-fed creeks—clear with a combination of sand and gravel bottoms. One has been walked for years. The old-timers used to find a dozen points a day. The other has been rarely walked. Only one other person walks the stretch I have access to. The stretch just upstream has burial mounds and that owner doesn’t let anyone on. The oft-walked creek has yielded two broken heads, three scrapers (including my best piece—the light-colored blade), and about 15 pieces of flint knappings in the four walks this year. The other has produced the brown knife, one scraper, the turtle and three flakes. I was really expecting more from both. Nebraska had a huge flood this spring and I expected there would be a lot stirred up. Both sites are 3.5 hours from my house so it is a commitment to make the trip. The streams are a half hour apart and close to my parents’ house so that helps. But how often should I hit them? My nephew and I walked 8.5 hours and were skunked. I know they are solid sites. They are all I have at this time. Should I just hit them in spring and fall?

Comment

I’d hit them when I could.
                      Time is the hardest thing to manage. If you can, I’d go every time it rains.

Comment

Working...
                      X