New site

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New site

So I recently made a post about a new site I picked up. The is a lot of Flint in the area, in cattle trails and washed out ruts. I only was able to hunt it for about 45 minutes. I chose to search along the small creek that runs through the property. On one section of the creek there was a short eroded, high bank. There was a lot of Flakes there, and I actually found a broken bird point. I'm new to hunting creeks, so I was wondering if I could get some tips. How would you go ab ok it digging a high bank? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

There are plenty of posts about creek hunting on here.

Do a search and you'll find some good info.

I hunt creeks regularly, with some success, but I never dig so can't help you there.

Standard general advice for surface hunting is simply look very carefully everywhere but pay special attention to flood lines and places rocks and stones of similar size aggregate (sand, gravel bars and beaches).

Know the lithic material common to your area.

California

Comment

Study the flakes for color and material then you will know what to look for. All surface here as well can’t dig. Sometimes you score sometimes like today you don’t. Never know until you look.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Is there another creek running in at that point, or a good piece of high well-drained ground? The trick is finding where they were living so you can focus your hunting. Also maybe look at Google Earth for clues, like dark areas in big fiends might be middens.

Comment

I like to walk in the water as much as possible look through water and on any gravel bars for color and shape... I look for sharpness as well!
        North Carolina

Comment

I know Texas can be dry but getting out after a good gully washer can produce great finds sticking out from the banks or trapped on gravel bars.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Working...
          X