South Central Kansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Central Kansas

Looking for anyone that hunts South Central Kansas, mainly around Wichita. I moved here a few months ago and just started finding a few points. Just looking for any advice given this new landscape (I’m originally from the South).

I’m mostly hunting dried creek beds and the Arkansas River right now but it seems like I’m running out of luck usually.

Thanks for resding,

I have no idea, but I’ve driven through there many times and and spent most of the drives wondering what was in all them dry gullies..
    Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

• KSCreeking
      KSCreeking commented
      Editing a comment
      Do you think water diversion over the years has taken the water level down? I’ve found a few half's and tips on in places I would have never guessed. My biggest problem is picturing where Natives settled so long ago! Thanks for your input, yesterday I kayaked up the Little Arkansas River for a few hours and only found flakes.. my concern is looking in places with no value.

Thanks Man!

• Jethro355
      Jethro355 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s the thing....you won’t know until you go and look. I’ve found stuff in places I never suspected, and not found stuff in premium locations.

Welcome from S.Carolina

Comment

Currently working out of Lindsborg, Ks. Following this post for info as well. Let me know and maybe we can meet up. Good luck.

Comment

I have friends that won’t even look unless the gravel bar is big. But I have found things on all sizes of course the bigger bars will catch more but you never know unless you look. The area you found flakes that will be a good place to look. Flakes and pottery are always on the highest spots the heavy things like points and other will be a bit deeper wait till the water goes down then go back
        NW Georgia,

Comment

I live in Southeast Kansas. My main hunting grounds are dried up creek beds, or gravel bars in active waterways. Other than the gravel bars...I always keep a close eye on the mud banks. Especially on the inside of a bend. Special attention goes to old tree roots that might have snagged up a point as it washed by. By far my favorite place to go would be a freshly worked field in proximity to a creek or river. One that looks to have plenty of wild game available...has high ground nearby, and might offer shelter such as an overhangibg bluff. Flint chunks...chips...flakes...and blackened fire ring rocks are indicators of the potential presence of artifacts. Looking for areas that look to be good hunting present day most likely was the same way more or less a few hundred or even thousand years ago. Look close to the waters edge out in the field...preferably right after a recent rain to wash away sediment....along the top and the slope of rises/terraces in the fields. Follow that formula and it's just a matter of time before you'll locate a honey hole. Kansas has it's fair share of them.
          A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that he can learn in no other way!

Comment

Working...
          X