how do you...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how do you...?

When looking for arrowheads at a lake were do you start?
    Any tips and spots around a lake that could be good how do you go about it?

I think it really depends on what lake it is...I hunt on a manmade lake but Indians were all over the area before so whenever the water is down, I look for flakes accumulated in an area and start inspecting everything.  After every good rain, go out and check it for areas again, the rain washes the dirt/mud around uncovering more!

Comment

In Oregon you need to see if you can legaly pick artifacts around public lakes, rivers or streams. Oregon has pretty tough laws in this matter.
      Jack

Comment

Andrew pretty much summed it up. The only thing I would add is, pay close attention around gatherings/piles of small gravel. Bird points like to collect there. Also, don't be afraid to strap on the waders or boots and get out there in the clear water and look around. Check all the natural drawls/creeks that channel water into the lake.Good luck!

Comment

As Jack said check the legal issues. If it is an Army Corps Of Engineers Lake I cannot advise it.
          Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I always scan the area with these thoughts in my head. If I was standing here 4,000 years ago what would the geography of what I was viewing look like. If it is a man made pond, the inlet and outlet river/stream was most likely there, especially the inlet side, a good place to check. Pretend that the lake is still a river and look for higher banks and flat areas along the shoreline closest to where the submersed river channel is, typically the side with the higher slope rising from the water. Native campsites almost always catch the morning sun and face the south/south east. So the north/ northwest shore is more likely to hold a campsite. Think like a Native and many things will make more sense. Good luck

Comment

I don't know about lakes but rivers I always have great luck hunting shell beds.

Comment

Working...
              X