Hunting western rivers and creeks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting western rivers and creeks?

I've only ever found one thing in the water here in utah. It was in an area where the city had re-routed the river to make more property usable for farmers and land owners. I've never been back even though I know i should. Other than that I've never found a thing walking creeks just wondering if anyone else in the West has had any luck?

Wow! A dandy find. Looks like a celt made of some kind of chert. At least that is what it looks like to me. My old hunting grounds were in north Alabama and middle Tennessee where similar artifacts are found.

Comment

• Kaleb
      Kaleb commented
      Editing a comment
      Why old? I was thinking side knife but my knowledge is still fairly limited. Now I'm going to have to look more into celts

• sailorjoe
      sailorjoe commented
      Editing a comment
      Why old? That's because I don't get to hunt anymore. As it being a knife. Could be, for sure. From the pictures you provided we can't see how thick the blade is. And because it looks rounded on the small end and chipped that way it reminds me of the chert celts I've found and seen. Celts can be very small sometimes. In fact many may only be very small. Celts can be made of chert or a softer stone that can be abraided and polished smooth as opposed to being chipped from chert.

My thinking is to stick to what works best for you....
    Lubbock County Tx

Comment

• Kaleb
      Kaleb commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah your probably right I always end up disappointed when I walk a creek.

• Lindenmeier-Man
      Lindenmeier-Man commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you freezing your butt off up there ? 26F here right now....

• Kaleb
      Kaleb commented
      Editing a comment
      I just checked the weather it's 26 here also... Weird... But Yes the hike I went on yesterday I thought my hands were going to fall off.

They make a pouch now days that last 12 hours just shake it and it stays warm to hot. Wear gloves and put one in each glove. Feels great on the hands. I have to ask does your creeks have gravel and a decent current or maybe even once in a while flood. If so there should be artifacts in it. Sometimes it takes a while to spot them. I'd rather hunt a creek than a field any day of the week myself. That's a big find maybe the others are small and you just can't see them.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Maybe I did find a mano once on the flood plain to a river far away from any sites so it gives me hope still. Plus there id's nothing better than walking in a creek on a hot summer day

Comment

Especially in the west where there is no humidity . Nice and dry . The south in my creek in Grorgia has soooo many flying bugs worst being the yellow fly and mosquitos .
        Its a game changer being out west in those cool river and streams .
        I would go back to that area that the city worked on . Sounds promising with artifacts sitting there just waiting .

Comment

Everything i found has always been in the creek in my hometown in north carolina i had always found finds on the banks and in the shallow water my newest find was found on the 26th of November 2019 was found out to be a clovis from the later period when it was transitioned it does resemble a plainview this projectile is fluted on both sides
          Attached Files

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Makes you wonder how many is under the mud layer just waiting for a rain to wash it off. Ever thought about taking a bucket and washing the bars off? Maybe start downstream and wash some off and then reverse your way back to the beginning and have a look.
        Working...
        X