Asking Property Owners for Permission to Look

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking Property Owners for Permission to Look

Looking for new fields in Crawford and Richland County Ohio. I'm just now starting to look for fields to branch out to and start looking in other locations. Naturally not a very social person but I'm willing to go up to people and ask. I was wondering if you guys had any tips on how you approach people about asking for permission. Little nervous about people getting angry about a random stranger going up to their door in the country. I made a card with my name and number to hand to people. Any tips or stories would be really appreciated! I'm really excited to start looking in new fields.

Well if they are older I always offer some finds for the grand kids. I usually give a riker frame and tell them each time I come back maybe I will find something else for their frame. After while they tell me just to go whenever I feel like it. But its important to be ready to walk the day you ask so they can see you are respectful of their property cause they will be watching. Another tip is if there is trash thrown bring some trash bags with you and after you look grab a bag and go pick it up. Trust me you won't have to say a word they will see you. Just a couple of tips. Don't ever offer cash that can be a problem in the future.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

A firm handshake, eye contact and be respectful, a yes sir or yes mam never hurts. If you get permission you should always stop and ask every time you go there its just common courtesy. Being a property owner myself I appreciate the little things. Currently there are several guys that hunt small game, duck, and deer on my farm, they are very respectful like closing gates behind them, not driving across the fields, letting me know when/where they are hunting...
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Bring your kid or grandkid along or shoot grab the neighbors kid . They would have a time turning down a kid. Agree with pahorock lookem dead in the eye and firm handshake don’t be dodgy.

Comment

• KyChipStone
          KyChipStone commented
          Editing a comment
          Lmao.....That’s funny😂

Doesn't hurt to have a couple of points in hand to show them when you introduce yourself. It helps put them a bit more at ease seeing you actually do collect artifacts.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

If you offer money they might think there is a gold mine on the property and you will be getting rich when they could be getting rich instead. That's why I said not to offer money. Now if you offer to lease the property it might end up being better but it's hard to offer that if you don't know if there is anything to find. I do trade things. I can get free buckets if they have a farm, I make walking sticks and canes, I have a truck if they want something hauled away and if it's a good field I offer steaks. You just have to ask and if it's a yes then what I do is ask, well I like to trade for permission and if there was something you really wanted what would it be? Then I listen to the answer.
          NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Just got back today and i got permission!! and he even let me hunt another field i didn't know about which looks even better than the others. Super excited.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              I won't charge a fee just a free hunt if you are close by. I'm sure you aren't close by.

Lol! If you are ever In North Central Ohio shoot me a message.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Just share your finds that will be plenty. I've never been north of Virginia but once and that was Maine.
          Working...
          X