Cibolo creek tx help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cibolo creek tx help

Hello new to the forum and just have a few question I do alot of creek hunting south east of San Antonio and I come across a spot the other day floating the river with permission granted I walked up a ditch with a small spring runing down to the creek it's id say 30 40ft deep to level ground and got to poking around and digging finding a ton of flakes and fire poped rock big spawls bone and even a small jaw bone most of the flakes are about 9ft deep id say from level ground along with everything else but no points so my question is should i start digging into the bank more or? I'm at a loss it doesn't help me that we haven't had a good rain in 6months so there 5 inches of elm leaves on top of the soil.

Eye those ancient elm leaf serrated points have got my heart pumping more than once

Even finding charcoal

Comment

Wow if the area is that deep then you’ve got good location. Should be a BRM in that area. I would start at the top of the bank dig back into it a foot deep and 2’ wide then start taking it down as far as it will go 9’? If you find artifacts at a certain layers make a note of where you found em. if you find lots of large flint chips but no artifacts it’s still a good area but would need to expand after your initial downward test. Then you can undermine the more productive spots with the best occupations. Take pics next time so can have an idea. There’s some good stuff out that way.

Comment

How steep are the banks? If I am reading your post correctly, it sounds like there is potentially lot of dirt above you, just be careful about your safety and eroding the landowner's property.

A cubic yard of dirt (3 feet x 3 feet x 3 feet) weighs around 2000 lbs, it's literally like getting hit by a car if it comes down from above.
      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

From top to top valley to valley around 120 ft

Comment

What kind of jaw bone because if human stop, don't do it.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by gregszybala View Post
            What kind of jaw bone because if human stop, don't do it.
            In Texas all NA burials belong to the state and should be reported. Any artifacts belong to land owner. It’s unlikely that you found human jaw bone as there is little evidence of any Indian remains especially in campsites. There’s been a few that I know of being found in shelters or caves but I’m not aware of any extensive knowledge regarding archaic burials or later. The only stuff I’ve read is that they buried in sinkholes and crevasses. Ives known quite a few folks that have dug hundreds of campsite and middens and they have yet to find any human remains . The burial customs are mysterious in the Hill country region for the most part. It’s possible they had open air burials like some of the historic NA’s , maybe there was a combination of burial types.

Comment

Thanks for the info I'll get pictures up later this evening and get y'alls opinion

Comment

Comment

Comment

Will post pic of broken biface later

Comment

Working...
                    X