Asking to dig on posted property?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asking to dig on posted property?

Just trying to get some ideas on how to approach a property owner about digging on his land.
    Some things i not sure about.
    * How to find out who owns the land?
    *Talk to him in person or over the phone?
    *What to say?
    *What not to say?
    *Should I build some report or just ask the question?
    Help the new guy out I wanna find some good places to dig!!!!!!! I've only been digging one time since i lost my really nice spot. I cant take it anymore, I need to find some fresh dirt.
    Thanks,
    Spencer
    P.S. I'm 25 and money not flowing in like it was. I need free digs not pay digs.

County Tax Collector, online or not, will give you the owner.   You can also ask a neighbor if they know.  Always better to ask in person, IMHOP.
    Make sure you let them know you will respect and protect their property and exactly what you want to do.  Digging and/or walking field, etc., etc.
    Don't talk about artifact value, only importance to you.  If you have permission from others on other land, let them know that, too.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Tell them you will back fill all holes too so no one breaks a leg.
      You could send a Card of condolences to the man's address and in the head line put to the family of Joe smaith or what ever his name was. They may respond especially if you make a small contribution you may get a thank you card. That might have a return address.
      Another option is this. Texas is huge and there are sites everywhere don't marry yourself to this one spot. If that land is in Probate because of discrepancies in the estate then it could take years to clear up. Your kind of acting like that is that last site on the planet.
      You have gone on line and made a bunch of new friends in an anonymous way. Test you skills go to the Library and ask the head librarian who is the best known Local historian on Local Native American Culture. Go back to your High School and ask the history teacher there if they no someone on the local level, Then call that person. Historical Societies!. Asking people to help you from all over the country when you want to do something in your back yard is foolish in my honest opinion! Why would you ask someone from California how to dig in TX when TX has millions of sites and Thousands of diggers. Do your home work on the local level and be genuine.
      Dress casual and look people right in the eye when you talk to them smile a lot. Ask them if you can do work to trade for privilege to dig. Can you paint? Rake leaves? Clean cars? Fix Computers? They will know your not a creep! If your friend wants to go with you when your asking around tell him to leave the concert t shirt home and get a button down, stand up straight, tuck in your shirt and look like your are going to a job interview. I mean you already said money is tight are you working? Or are you just hanging out waiting for something god to happen to you? This is America if you want something go get it! People are good and they want to know good people so be good and go out there and get it!!!
      Man I wish I was twenty five again the world is yours man get back away from that computer and go out into it and put your best foot forward and don't look back!
      Good luck to you.
      TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Well said Hoss...

Comment

Wait Matt, Im 24, do need to get away from the computer?!
          I totally agree with everything said
          Andrew

Comment

Andrew stay right where you are! You can hunt on your day off!
              :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:
            I just said that part in-case Spencer was not working and just surfing all day. LOL It is really none of my Biz!
            I wasn't trying to be too hard on ya Spencer but sometimes you just gotta grab that ole bull by the horns and make a move! It's better than waiting on someone else to make the first move!
            TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

Nicely put Hoss, in a fatherly way!
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

gregszybala wrote:

Nicely put Hoss, in a fatherly way!
                Hoss, I think Greg just called you OLD !

Comment

Greg called ya old and Butch pointed it out to the community!.....great friends here, oh yea...... Good times! :lol:
                  Spencer, lots of good advice in this thread..... Good luck!
                  Southern Connecticut

Comment

Thanks for the advise Hoss. Just to let you know so you don't think I'm a bum. I do work! I own a valet company here in Austin Crown Valet. You can look it up at crownvalet.com. Its hard right now because it's the slow time of the year and we are a new company in a competitive Business.I think the doors are shutting on are business soon and I'll be going back to sales. We gave it a good shot but  like i said it just tooo slow in Austin for a new valet company. So yes I'm working but at the same time no I'm not. I have always gone after what i wanted and most of the time get it. Yes, i could find other places to dig and i will but for now thats the best one and I'm going to grab the bull by the horns and get my spot back and most of the question i ask i knew the answers already or i least what i wanted to do. I just like to hear other people opinions and/or ideas. It help me think and develop a better plan so i can have plan A, plan B and so on. It was great advise and i thank you for it. Truly i do!

Comment

We are pulling for you!

Comment

Oh and i wasn't asking the questions for my old spot. It was more for some new one's I've been looking at.

Comment

Hoss. You could do graduation speeches!  Good motivational speaker.
                          Gary
                          South Dakota

Comment

I didn't think you were a bum, sorry if it made you feel that way. I get a little passionate while I am writing sometimes. I think your doing the right thing by asking for advise and being so open and honest.    

Comment

Hi Spencer
                              Don't know if this helps any, but it's the approach I use.
                                Myapproach.doc
                              Sorry I had to post this as a Word document attachment. Sometimes the server doesn't like large amounts of text and it always seems to reject anything that has page-breaks within the format.
                              Good luck
                              Painshill

Roger I took the liberty of posting your words from your Word Document. I hope I did not step on your toes. Hoss
                              [Much obliged Hoss. From time to time the server just won't let me insert text beyond a certain number of characters. Painshill]

Ask in person, not by phone, letter or e-mail and turn up at a convenient time (around 9.00 am or 6.00pm generally works for me). Dress smart casual, no sunglasses (get eye contact), shaved and fresh-smelling. Make sure you have a name that you can use to properly address the person you are visiting.

Briefly introduce yourself and make it clear you are not selling anything. Make it known if you are a club or society member of any relevant kind. Stress that you are a hobbyist who does this for fun and because you are interested… not because you’re looking for things of value that you can sell. Be clear that the fun of your hobby is as much about searching (as opposed to finding). You don’t know whether you’ll find anything or not, but won’t be disappointed if you don’t.

Take a small selection of interesting items with you and ask if the owner would like to see some things you’ve found at other locations. Spin a few yarns if they show any interest.

If other people in the vicinity have given you similar permission, make that known and offer the information in a way that could be construed as a reference and evidence of good character. Always ask if anyone who has given you permission would be willing to “vouch for you” in future.

Stress that you will not be searching at inconvenient times, making noise, bringing machinery on site or inviting others to join you (unless agreed). You will live with any restrictions or curfew the owner wants to stipulate and respect his privacy at all times. You will also not leave gates open, frighten livestock, disturb wildlife, tread down crops, build fires or leave litter. I generally offer up that I will also remove litter and junk if I find it. You will also leave the area in a tidy, restored state.

Reassure the owner that you will discharge him from any liability for accidents or injury to yourself (excluding negligence) and put this in writing. You will remain liable for damage to his property or other persons. If you are a club member, they sometimes offer insurance specifically related to this (at least, they do in the UK). Otherwise you need to consider whether any existing insurance policies you have provide adequate protection. If you have cover, offer to show evidence of this.

Offer to show anything interesting you might find to the owner if he’d like to see. (If you find a reasonable selection, you could offer to let the owner choose a couple of items). Stress again that you don’t intend to sell your finds but if anything valuable and saleable does turn up you will split the proceeds with the owner and commit to this in writing. I normally offer 50:50 and put a nominal ceiling value on finds.

Whatever is agreed, put it in writing, be clear about the area covered (with a map or map reference if necessary), include some kind of time-frame and notice of cancellation, get it signed, get it dated and preferably get it witnessed. If the owner perceives a written agreement with discomfort, stress that it’s in his interests as well as yours. Here in the UK, metal-detector club websites have pro-forma agreements that can be downloaded and modified as appropriate.

If the answer’s “no”, accept that gracefully and without argument. Thank the owner anyway and leave your card in case they have a change of mind (print your own if you have to).

If the answer’s “yes”, always revisit the owner with a material token of your gratitude as well as a written thank you note at some appropriate point. Whether you find anything or not. Something alcoholic or chocolatey does the trick.
                              I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
                              X