Maine - hot spots.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maine - hot spots.

I own a cabin deep in the North woods of Maine.
    As as a crow flies it's 35 miles from pavement or electricity. This winter when I was in the backcountry on my snowmobile I ran across another guy. He has a cabin about 10 miles from me. He is publicly known and very well respected as a sportsman. He's extremely knowledgeable about the local history and the area that our cabins are in.
    During our conversation he told me that arrowheads have been found around the lake my cabin is on.

How can I prove that indigenous people frequent the area? Is there any maps showing hot spots or places they lived or traveled in the state of Maine?

Are there any signs that I might find, that would show they used my lake often?

I'm very new to this. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by T10R9 Digger; 04-02-2020, 08:33 AM.

If you could walk the shoreline of the lake, looking for arrowheads, or what we call points, that's one way. If this lake has a dam, sometimes such lakes are drawn down in winter months, and drawn down lakes can be great for artifact hunting. It does not sound like you are near any cultivated land, I know northern Maine is potato country, and such fields near fresh water will yield artifacts. I would ask your neighbor where such artifacts were found around your lake. But if he is simply indicating points have been found on the shoreline of the lake, and does not know specific spots, walk the shoreline where permitted. It does help to know what to look for. The Northeast section of our Info Center will show you point types found in mostly southern New England, but many are also found in North Country.
    Rhode Island

Comment

I just goggled Native American tribes in Maine .
      There is so much information .
      There are maps but you did not give your location so just go to the maps and you will be able to figure out your area and lake for further research .
      Good luck and enjoy .
      Just a tip about lakes . When we were kids and the wind kicked up and it lapped the shore the points would come up . Walk a few feet out with a hand sifter if your not finding them in the shore .

Comment

Working...
      X