Carry a Big Stick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carry a Big Stick

President Theodore Roosevelt’s, "...speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far."

While I know Teddy hunted big game, not sure if he hunted arrowheads.

Question: Do you carry a stick or not?

Personally, as a child, never. Even when I returned to hunting I did not. However, the previous two seasons I could not imagine not having a stick to knock, flip, etc.

Flint Eastwood
    northwestern Pennsylvania

For creek hunting it's a must really helps when you are crossing the creek and water is dirty plus you can feel the bottom for mud and holes. I make my own. I prefer a discarded chewed beaver stick they like hard wood so I know its strong. I always use them even in fields.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Absolutely, bending over flipping every chip is not something I do at my age. Gotta work smarter, not harder.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Yes always saves me be bending down...a thousand times per trip!
        SW Connecticut

Comment

I carry one for all the reasons above plus the piece of mind during snake season!
          North Carolina

Comment

• paohrocks
            paohrocks commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha! I've beat back many a snake with my stick!

Utilized Flake,
          I once had a large, unfriendly canine investigating my artifact hunt.
          I felt much better having a stick!
          My friend, who did not have a stick, never ran so fast in all his life!
          Flint
          northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            That's true I've scared more than just dogs away even mean horses and other farm animals

Yes !
          Lubbock County Tx

Comment

One fella carried a long handled clam rake, I kidded him many years about it.told him clams are on the the mud flats..Nick named him The Clam Raker...Then one dayI saw his collection, he had found a bunch more than I had,..It was depressing to say the least ...Anyway i still carried the stick I used as a young man, it was too late for me to change ..This is where rule 8 comes in....Never get rid of your lucky stick cuzz ya might never find another, p.s.:don’t let anyone use it either or you’ll be sorry, lol.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
              Lindenmeier-Man commented
              Editing a comment
              I agree ! If I take someone hunting, they gonna have to bend over to flick flint ! Not gonna get mine, plus stepping wrong my stick has saved me from a nasty fall. On the paranormal side, one has to train a stick !

Never used one before myself. I will be before too long but I’m still young and can get away with it. I honestly like getting down low to the ground with my elbows on my knees bent over because I can see much better and it’s easier for me to spot out worked materials! I know I’m not helping my back out any tho lol
            Johnson county Missouri

Comment

I use one to hold onto when I bend over to scan a spot. Saves the back a little.....
              Professor Shellman
              Tampa Bay

Comment

My stick I prefer is an old bamboo ski pole. Good in the mud, and for climbing hills, and has the little steel tip for flipping over rocks.
                South Dakota

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
                  Flint Eastwood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gary,
                  I too trust a metal tipped pole! Works like a charm...if only it had a built in flint finder.

I typically do not carry a stick with me....as surface mentioned earlier...ill sometimes pick up a good sturdy stick to use as a cane....i do have a graphite shaft golf club that was a driver until the club head broke off....its perfect length to use as a good flipping stick plus got a grip on it....im sure you can find one to modify real cheap at a goodwill when all this mess is over with.
                Last edited by Benji; 04-17-2020, 12:26 PM.
                Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

Own five of them don't use any. I figure at my age as long as I can keep getting out there and give the legs a work out might as well be doing the same for my back.
                  Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

At one time I used a tater rake I used the pointy end to help pull myself out of the creeks and to move gravel. But one day while pulling myself out the head came off and down I went. So since then I use a stick.
                    NW Georgia,

Comment

Flint, my dandelion picker is like my best friend. Would not hit the fields without it. Hope someday its found in an old field by collecter!

Comment

Working...
                      X