Archeological Surveys and Trinomials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Archeological Surveys and Trinomials

I have found an archeological survey of a river in my area. Only general locations are given along with Smithsonian Trinomials and this is as far as I can get. I was hoping to locate some sights by using the Trinomials but I assume locations of the sites are not for the general public in order to protect them. Is this correct or is there a way to locate a site by the Trinomials? I drove to an area where I thought some of the sites were and could not locate any just by looking across fields.
    Last edited by Flintinpockets; 04-17-2020, 08:24 PM.

Well, you’re not going to dig a protected archaeological site, so better off looking for cultivated fields near sources of fresh water, and getting permission to hunt such sites.
    Rhode Island

Comment

• Flintinpockets
      Flintinpockets commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CMD. I don’t dig at all. I don’t think I would like to sit in a jail cell because of an arrowhead, or for any other reason😀. But I am looking for sites to surface hunt.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, the one suggestion I offered is a fundamental in surface hunting. You need dirt, dirt that’s turned over, and then dirt that is rained on, so you can spot what you’re looking for. Because I live where there are many bays and estuaries, we also hunt those shorelines. Another good bet is lakes that are drawn down in Winter months. And, of course, all with permission, and following the laws of your state, as well as federal law. Also, recognition of the lithic materials most commonly used by your region’s prehistoric inhabitants. I’m sure you will do fine applying these suggestions, and those of others, including collectors you may meet in your searches and travels.

Hi Flintinpockets, Yes, you are correct about the need to protect archaeological sites. The numbering system that you asked about began around 1945. The first # represents the state. All states as of 1945 were placed in alphabetical order and thus 1 would be the first state in that list. Alaska did not make the first list nor did Hawaii. The two letters that follow the # is the county in the state. Following the county is a series of #'s. They stand for the order that the site was recorded within each county. So the lower the # the older the site was recorded. Some county's have very large #'s and some do not. It depends upon the amount of CRM (contract archaeological management) work that has been conducted, institutional research work, and/or people like yourself recording each site with the state. Your state archaeological society (preservation office) will have a web site with the forms. Old archaeological reports do have many maps which show site locations. The newer reports that we are currently publishing are more vague because some "bad apples" have been looting protected areas. Also, many land owners do not want just anyone on their property. One of the things that I admire about this forum is many members always talk about getting permission first. That is always best. Good luck and remember you do not need an archaeological report to find artifacts just think about basic human needs what all people need and does your area provide it? If it does your in the right place.

Comment

• Hal Gorges
      Hal Gorges commented
      Editing a comment
      Very Informative 36AD, Thanks, What state do you work for?

• 36AD18FR
      36AD18FR commented
      Editing a comment
      Northeast region. Currently Pennsylvania.

• gregszybala
      gregszybala commented
      Editing a comment
      Welcome to the forum and good on the presentation of information. Glad you have joined us.

Thanks 36AD18FR, especially for what you said about not needing an archeology report . That gives me some confidence that I can locate a place to find a point or something. I guess it is because I’m new at this but I love picking up even a piece of flint.

Comment

Is trinomials the same as triagleation?
      Floridaboy.

Comment

• sailorjoe
        sailorjoe commented
        Editing a comment
        No

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks s.j I just looked it up.

You may find this entry in our Information Centre helpful:

State Archaeologists (NASA) The National Association of State Archaeologists website provides a directory of Archaeologists for the United States, indexed by state

Scroll down a bit to the section titled "Archaeological State Site Number Designations & Smithsonian Trinomials"
      I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

Working...
      X