Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you put your finds in while looking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you put your finds in while looking?

If this has been asked before I apologize. Just curious what you put your finds in as you're walking. Embarrassed to admit I've just been putting them in a pocket of my pants or hoodie. As far as cleaning them off when you're in the middle of a field I use a small 'golf' towel hooked to a belt loop, though I see most guys just wipe on their pants. Thanks.
    Central KY (Frankfort)

I’ve always just dropped them in a pocket.. Bluejeans or shorts in the warm months, coat pocket in the cold months. Only time I ever broke a point happened when I got back to my car, and took the point I found out to look at again. And dropped it on the asphalt. Otherwise, I have never nicked a point, even with several in the same pocket. Although “several” is very seldom the end result of my hunts.
    Rhode Island

Comment

Sometimes we were way down river and didn’t have a goodie bag with us , just stuck em in the sleeve of the wet suit, don’t recommend it, broke a few pieces that way, p.s.:,that’s how ya get sperince lol.
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Small back-pack for me, with a mix of bubble wrap and zip-lock polythene bags plus a Sharpie pen for labelling the bags. For removing loose dirt and mud I use a small ladies hairbrush with softish bristles but don't attempt to clean anything delicate-looking until I'm home and have access to running water and a sieve.
        I keep six honest serving-men (they taught me all I knew); Their names are What and Why and When and How and Where and Who.

Comment

• SDhunter
          SDhunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay Higgins. LOL.
          You have to have watched Magnum PI to get it.

Waist pack with zippers. It's got 3 different pockets one is designated for each type of find. Unfortunately the point zipper hardly ever gets opened
        Last edited by SurfaceHunter; 04-26-2020, 02:32 PM. Reason: Auto wrong
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• pacmanJohn
          pacmanJohn commented
          Editing a comment
          Like the 'rock' trick

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          It works.

• flintguy
          flintguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Good idea on the rock in the pocket. I have a story ready to go, "I'm looking for smooth rocks for my kids to paint". It's a thing kids actually do around here.

I keep them in my pockets, I usually wear cargo pants or shorts so I have many pockets to choose from, I also wear a backpack for larger tools and/ or preforms. If I find a few I just take them back to my car.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I have an old, waterproof cell phone case. Works great for thin pieces. I have also used a sunglass sleeve.

My brother uses a felt bag, similar to the Crown Royal type.

Hope this helps!

Flint
          northwestern Pennsylvania

Comment

If it’s a goodun it goes in my mouth... If it’s a biggun it'll stay clenched in my hand...

Comment

• antmike915
              antmike915 commented
              Editing a comment
              Hardcore 🤘

What if you find more than one goodun TN? I laughed on your comment by the way. I have been known to do a field wash while hunting but it depends on how much natural fertilizer they put on the fields 🙂
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I carry a backpack with a couple bottles of water(more when it’s hot) and a soft bristled toothbrush, a trowel, and a 2’ probe rod and some gallon ziplock bags. I use the bags for pottery, usually leave the backpack sitting somewhere, and carry points in my pants pocket.🙃
              Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

If your going out specifically for that carry a light backpack like Jethro does with bags etc .
                Now somehow I 90 % get asked hey you want to go by the mound . Have nothing but pockets and have lost plenty of just brokes but I need a pack .

Comment

Use to carry a backpack until the learning curve improved. Now is multiple pocket pants (kahkis), and a hooded sweatshirt.

Comment

I just picked up a waxed canvas foraging bag that folds up and rides on my belt. When I find something that won’t ride comfortably in my pocket I unsnap it and throw the rocks in. Seems well built and has a cinch strap so in case you fall down a gully your treasure won’t spill out. Could probably carry a small trowel and a bottle of water in there as well. It has worked well for me.
                    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

I've got a couple of vintage "fanny packs" that I use, as well as a back pack when I'm walking in the desert.
                      Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

Beads get a little cleaning then in the mouth they go LOLOL Back pockets for single nice finds.
                        Professor Shellman
                        Tampa Bay

Comment

Working...
                        X