Colorado High Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Colorado High Country

I have noticed that many times when I scout out a place on a topo map, that I don't find anything where I think I would, such as places near water, flat spots with an advantage, etc. Last time I went out I found nothing on this knob I scoped out which had a spring on either side. Roaming the same country I ended up find debitage along the hills which go up into the trees. Makes no sense that I find stuff on these shelfs and upward slopes into the trees. I can't imagine there could have or would have been camps in these places. What am I missing? Any ideas or feedback would be much appreciated. I have a screenshot below and marked the second spring with the red arrow and highlighted where I thought would be hunting in yellow.

Thanks for any help or advice!

How old are the finds in your area? Water levels change over a few thousands of years. I've found Adena culture near the creek I see today. I find late Woodland 50 feet or so higher than the creek. And Archaic Kirk's above that area another 50 feet. The certain fields I am referring to are in Georgia where I have permission. But to me I believe it was due to water levels back then. Hope this helps.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
      SurfaceHunter commented
      Editing a comment
      When I say 50 feet up I mean water levels. It's a 3 tier field so Archaic here water would of been another 150 feet deep. 7500 years ago.

• mtnsolitude
      mtnsolitude commented
      Editing a comment
      Good points to consider about where water may have been. I hadn't thought about that too much. I have found points all at the same site from different time periods even. Appreciate your help!

Don't know what the scale is on the map but maybe expand the area you are looking at in relation to the springs and waterways. Maybe to the right of the 8 or where 9 is? I have found sites a 1/4 mile plus as the crow flies from a water source. SurfaceHunter's point is valid. Also consider what is a spring now might have been flowing at some point in time.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• mtnsolitude
      mtnsolitude commented
      Editing a comment
      I keep going back to the same area because I feel like there must have been a camp somewhere in this area. I have hunted around where the 8 and 9 is but never found anything but where 10 is I have found flakes. The last camp I found was quite by accident. I was going to a place I had previously found artifacts and while walking into the place because of the bad roads, I stumbled upon it just a 1/4-1/2 mile away from it. It proved to be the best camp I had ever hunted producing many artifacts. Appreciate the help.

I feel your pain, Mtn. I spend a lot of time poring over maps myself and strike out fairly often. One thing I have learned to keep in mind is the four necessities (IMHO) that would have made a good camp: 1) Water 2) Food 3) Shelter and 4) Safety

The first two are obvious in a way, however in my experience even camps from the historical era can be away from the water. The water only need be within traveling distance. Also, if you were hunting animals who came to the spring or water you wouldn't want your camp right on it. This holds true out in the Apishipa river area where archaeological research shows that camps were rarely in the canyon bottom, but rather on the rim or high hog backs. Shelter can either be natural or manufactured, but we all know about caves and overhangs. Safety is also key...I would have wanted a good view all around or at least some high ground with my back to the wall. I certainly wouldn't want to camp down in a creek bottom where enemies could walk over the hill into my camp. I'm pretty certain I remembered where you hunt and that area, at least in the historical era, was a place where many tribes came together from different regions, and a lot of times it wasn't peaceful. I would surmise this has always been the case.

Anyway, these are just my observations from hunting some of the same types of terrain you hunt. Also, look for sources of stone where NA would have traveled to and knapped out cores or points on the spot. I know of several in Saguache and Hinsdale counties where there are outcroppings of knappable stone and there are just chips everywhere. Why haul what you don't have to? Anyway, I wish you continued good luck out there!
    Last edited by Dunewalker; 04-30-2020, 01:18 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• mtnsolitude
      mtnsolitude commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree with you on all counts, and look for the same typical things when I look at my maps. I did find an area there where I wondered if they had had a small quarry. There are larger pieces of material around. There was a heavy Ute presence where I hunt but there were indeed other tribes in the area as well.There are shallow caves and huge rock formations in the area also so I am not giving up on it just yet. Ready to do a lot of walking. Thanks for the input and happy hunting to you as well.
Working...
X