SW Missouri rivers / creeks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW Missouri rivers / creeks

I am a fisherman and a hunter, AND a herper so I know better than to ask for "a spot".
    however... at some point this summer I will be heading to southern or SW Missouri to visit family and I am hoping to have a dedicated day to walk a creek or river. Any chance one of you all could point me in a VERY general direction as a place to start? I am scouring google earth, but that's a FAR cry from someone with real experience in the area. Where I live in KS all the creeks are just muddy silt so I am excited at the prospect of clear water with actual ROCKS instead of just MUCK!

Thank you far ANY nudge in the right direction!!

Don

Can’t help Donnie, but good luck..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Look for visible cobblestones but watch out for the snakes. Idk if they have gators or not.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Originally posted by SurfaceHunter View Post
        Look for visible cobblestones but watch out for the snakes. Idk if they have gators or not.
        HA HA HA ... I love snakes! no gators in MO tho thank goodness

Comment

• toccopola
          toccopola commented
          Editing a comment
          i like some snakes, roasted or fried. Some of these farmers don't want you on their land for any reason especially to look for arrowheads, but if you kind of say your a snake hunter and would like permission to hunt snakes in their creek. you might get lucky , just make sure you got some good reasons to be looking for snakes like collecting anti venom or skins for hat bands or something. trust me this snake hunting line works just don't ask me how i know. have a snake sack and a snake catching/walking stick .

Avoid the big black ones in the water
        NW Georgia,

Comment

Google Earth can be a useful exploring tool to narrow down your places to look if you are on your own but after that you should find a stream that has NA sites located near the water or fairly close. Good places are frequently located near the intersection of two streams like a small trib to a larger stream. If the area is in agriculture with plowed fields, I would ask the landowner if he would give you permission to look in those fields and check for sign like chips of chert, broken pottery, or rocks that seem to be entirely out of place where one normally finds them. If the field is in pasture or woodland then going to the stream bank would be the next step. Depending on Missouri laws if the steam is a small one then the adjacent landowner may own the steam as well if it passed by his property or to the centerline of the stream if different landowners owned both sides. If the stream is a large stream that is considered to be navigable then the state owns the stream bottom and the banks and what erodes from those banks may belong to the state. Depending on the state (and I know nothing about MO laws) they may not care if you walk down the river banks and pick up arrowheads. Ask your family or friends in the area if they know any land with those characteristics and see what they say. Some farmers may not want you to walk their plowed fields and some bulls may not you to walk in their pasture. It usually takes a lot of time to cultivate good hunting spots. Another good type area is near a permanent spring if there is any level land close by. Just walking "blindly" down any old stream would probably be a waste of time. It may be more productive to take a flyrod or small spinning rod and catch some local bass and sunfish. Sometimes small creeks can offer productive fishing.

Comment

Well said Sailorjoe

Comment

Originally posted by sailorjoe View Post
              Google Earth can be a useful exploring tool to narrow down your places to look if you are on your own but after that you should find a stream that has NA sites located near the water or fairly close. Good places are frequently located near the intersection of two streams like a small trib to a larger stream. If the area is in agriculture with plowed fields, I would ask the landowner if he would give you permission to look in those fields and check for sign like chips of chert, broken pottery, or rocks that seem to be entirely out of place where one normally finds them. If the field is in pasture or woodland then going to the stream bank would be the next step. Depending on Missouri laws if the steam is a small one then the adjacent landowner may own the steam as well if it passed by his property or to the centerline of the stream if different landowners owned both sides. If the stream is a large stream that is considered to be navigable then the state owns the stream bottom and the banks and what erodes from those banks may belong to the state. Depending on the state (and I know nothing about MO laws) they may not care if you walk down the river banks and pick up arrowheads. Ask your family or friends in the area if they know any land with those characteristics and see what they say. Some farmers may not want you to walk their plowed fields and some bulls may not you to walk in their pasture. It usually takes a lot of time to cultivate good hunting spots. Another good type area is near a permanent spring if there is any level land close by. Just walking "blindly" down any old stream would probably be a waste of time. It may be more productive to take a flyrod or small spinning rod and catch some local bass and sunfish. Sometimes small creeks can offer productive fishing.
              Thank you very much for taking the time to type up such a detailed response! I really appreciate it, and I will keep you posted!

Don

Comment

• BigMike420
                BigMike420 commented
                Editing a comment
                Don't by chance know of any good places to hunt in Missouri new to the area and was wanting to find my first point so any advice tips or point to right direction would be much appreciated

Just moved to Missouri live in Stoddard county can anyone point me to right direction looking to find my first point

Comment

Where in Missouri are you Mike?
                Jackson County, Mo

Comment

I am not an active poster on the site anymore , but thought this thread was interesting. Here is a link to a publication by the National Park service entitled " Prehistoric Rock Shelter and Cave Sites in Southwestern Missouri " which you can download from the wayback machine here ...
                  https://web.archive.org/web/20180702094201/https://npgallery.nps.gov/pdfhost/docs/NRHP/Text/64500307.pd

f
                  ​it may have info on general area to search ...

Comment

Here is another link to a better longer copy with maps & more location info ... This copy has the names of artifact rich creeks to hunt. Always obtain permission to hunt. The area you are looking in is one the most artifact rich places in the U.S. I hunted it for years & found many museum quality finds. https://mostateparks.com/sites/mosta...rn-Missoui.pdf
                    Last edited by Augmonic; 02-19-2023, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X