Field walking after the harvest.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Field walking after the harvest.

This may be a dumb question but I’m still new to the hobby so here it goes. The crops are up pretty high in my area so my field walking is effectively done for the summer. Are fields worth walking after the crops have been taken off? Beyond looking for missed artifacts will farm equipment kick up new artifacts while harvesting the crops? I recently acquired permission to hunt a six acre bean field but will have to wait for the crop to be harvested but I am looking forward to the hunt. Any of you experienced walkers have any insight or tips? I’m willing to learn!
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Might want to let some weather sweep the bean dust off before checking it out. But I would walk it this fall just to look for areas of flint chips and other clues for hot spots. I found a sweet black triangle that a tractor tire kicked up when they were mowing the edge of a field. It was 5 feet off the road as I was riding my bike. It got flipped up while he was making a sharp turn at the end of the field. Thank you farmer Barcley.
    Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

Not a crop walker, but I think it depends on how rich the site is, how much rain, how many other guys have looked, how bored you are and how bad the urge or pull is “ rule no.5,don’t resist the call of the arrowheads”, remember when they’re hiding1/16”under the surface it don’t take much to uncover them and you might find one of the best ones you’ll ever find, that’s kinda the whole point of this here huntin stuff...
      Floridaboy.

Comment

The bean field is brand new to me. I can spend hours in a field so the boredom factor isn’t a problem. The field isn’t very close to a water source but ten thousand years of habitation in Michigan leaves a lot of room for change. The landowner couldn’t say if anyone has hunted the field before but I don’t believe the term “played out” in searching is ever true. We had a big storm roll through last night and it got me itching to hunt but I’ll have to wait.

Comment

Hal nailed it. I walk fall through winter into spring. If there is visible ground ( no snow, weeds, not covered in debris I take the walk. I may be in Carharts, wool hat and safety glasses for the wind. Besides it keeps me active all winter as opposed to sitting on my rear hunkered down. And the fun of even finding one is worth it.
          Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Hi trav, blow off the bean fields till next spring. Hit the cornfields in oct. after it dries and still standing. You can only search one row at a time but, there’s pipes to be found. Some of my best finds have been in the corn in the fall....maybe now, hit up the creeks or rivers....✌️
            Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

Trav, I only surface hunt. Sometimes, like yesterday, the food plot can be too wet. I live in clay land so I have to wait for it to dry some before I hunt. We ride on our land on a side by side just about every evening. My husband always drives me around the edges of all his food plots. Even the ones that are too high to walk like his dove fields. Don't discount the edges even when you can't get into the fields. Walk the edges. I've found many points just on the edge where his tractor/disc deposits and builds up dirt. Found two yesterday in the edge dirt.
              South Carolina

Comment

Yes you can look but from experience if its cattle corn where they let it turn brown before harvest it's a mess. If its regular corn it can still be tough but nothing like cattle corn. Most around me do cattle corn.
                NW Georgia,

Comment

Thanks for all of the input. I’m excited to be able to broaden my search area a bit. I still have the small river to search near my hotspot but the weather and timing have joined forces with each other to keep me from that endeavor for a while.

Comment

All depends on what type of crop was planted and harvesting machinery used. Dairy farmers will generally cut their corn and use it as feed leaving just a small section of corn stock, these fields are good for fall walking. Grain farmers typically use a combine which leaves tons of fodder (corn and bean stubble) covering the ground. Bean fields are not bad for walking as there is not a lot of fodder after the harvest.
                    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Well waiting for the harvest seems to be the best thing to do for a while. Big heat wave moving into Michigan. Mid 90s and no rain in the fifteen day forecast. Good time to do some research reading. Be safe out there everyone!!
                      Last edited by Uncle Trav; 06-30-2020, 12:50 PM.

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                        SurfaceHunter commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That's perfect weather for the small waterways. Just wear a hat and dip it in the water when you get hot. It will keep you cool.

Any time you can see the ground is a good time.
                      Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Come fall I religiously drive around a couple days a week checking to see if they harvested any of the fields I hunt especially the bean fields. As soon as it’s cut I’m walking it. It’s a bit difficult at first because of all the ground up waste but it usually pays off.
                        Warren County New Jersey

Comment

Nothing I can add for field advice but post whatever you find Trav. 👊
                          🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I might not have to wait for the harvest just yet! Got a double whammy last night. The first rains of any consequence in weeks came rollin through last night and are still going. The high temp today is set for 78. It has been in the low 90s forever it seems like. I have permission to hunt a bean field that was planted late so I’m planning on hitting it later today or tomorrow. The thrill of hunting a new site has me all hopped up.
                            😁

Comment

• UpNorth
                              UpNorth commented
                              Editing a comment
                              Big bonus.... grab the rain gear, pack a lunch, and have at her....lol.... good luck, I’m jealous 👍
                          Working...
                          X