Game plan.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game plan.

First off sorry I post so much been at this digging thing for only two months now and that new excitement has not worn off. ( wish it would the blisters are killing me). I love learning new things and everything I dig up on a good site has possibilities. The first pic is finds from today and the second is of cores I found in my spot. So this is where the game plan comes in. Never again am I digging without taking a picture of the site before it's turned up. From now on I'm sectioning it off....and hauling the throw dirt on a tarp at least ten feet away. My original spot was yielding like mad, but it got filled in with dirt (cough cough Soldier sorry lol). So I moved only 7 feet away and NADA just tools aka scrapers. So today I guestimated where my old holes edges were moved some fill dirt and almost instantly found the preform and three cores. So the way I figure someone sat there knapping out points (all my arrowhead finds were in that small general spot same depth). I plan on digging the holy hell out of that one area and hope it pays off, but never again will I go without a game-plan because when you do find a high yielding spot it makes you want to kick yourself later for jumping head first and not being tidy.(had to fix the pics cores are first now finds from today second)

The drag out technique works well. You can also use a bucket.
    Find a small bucket maybe at "Home Depot" punch two holes in the bottom
    opposing sides and pass a small rope through and tie a knot.
    Fill the bucket and you can throw the overburdon anywhere you can if you have the strength.
    Hang on to the rope and when the bucket hits the end of it's length it will empty.
    Drag the bucket back and you are ready to fill it again.
    This effectively ends the trudgery of shoveling, plus you get to look at the soil
    twice! I use this method and have gotten several of my digging buds into using this technique.
    The company where I work disposes of two gallon buckets, on a regular basis. I take them as
    often as I can. They are very handy.
    A five gallon bucket works but I would advise you to cut the top half off. Larger opening and it still
    has the potential of decresing the work load.
    BTW: I too have suffered the consequenses of having to move a ton of dirt, with nothing in it,
    that I threw there my self! You learned quick.
    Have a good day out there.
    Bone2stone
    It is a "Rock" when it's on the ground.
    It is a "Specimen" when picked up and taken home.

​Jessy B.
    Circa:1982

Comment

Ah the diggers life, got to give you folks credit. Personally I keep my shovel time to the bare minimum! Just hurts too much. Did a lot of digging through the years, unfortunately not for artifacts.
      Amber, our soon to be amateur/semi pro archy!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Working...
      X