Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek hunting

Alright all,

I’ve finally had some success recently switching to field hunting, but I’ve walked creeks for a LOT of years with no real ’luck’. Now that I have a hang of the fields I really want to reevaluate what’s not working in creeks. I assume trying to pinpoint areas natives would frequent is the same concepts, which I try to do. I try to locate creeks more off of the beaten path and thus not frequented by others. I try to hit any rock beds in those creeks and scan them thoroughly. I look for the right lithics and or shapes. I try to focus on areas that like sized rocks congregate. I also check eroded banks, grassy areas and roots that may have snagged something, and shallow waters where something may have settled.

Anything else you do to increase probability?

Hunting in Central Ohio

That about sums it up, don't take it from me I've only found 3 complete, a few heartbreakers and a few scrapers/ tools in creeks.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I don't have any luck in my creek. Maybe Surface Hunter can help give you some pointers. I wish I could find something in the creek but honestly I'm so afraid of snakes that I can't focus. I'm going to give it another try this winter.
      South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Snake boots, snake boots, snake boots

You guys aren’t going to believe this, but right after I posted this earlier I took my daughter disc golfing. There is a creek that runs the back border of the park. I’ve walked parts of that 20x and never seen anything remotely close. There is a recognized mound a mile away so I’ve always assumed there should be opportunity there. I walked I 20 yard stretch with her today and found what I think is a uniface knife. It’s not definitive to me but the edge looks like it has some work. Thoughts.... this will be awesome if it is..lol

the color is making indoor photos with my phone hard. I will try to get better ones if you need them.

Hunting in Central Ohio

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks like a type of knife that always has one flat side, but need some better edge pics.

Looks broken but part of something.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• CGriff61
        CGriff61 commented
        Editing a comment
        You’re right surface.... I see the break now.... it is recent too😔. But I can totally see what the shape woulda been and I think it was a decent knife.

getting on a gravel bar or searching holes and trenches or digging out a sand or gravel bar. thats about it for creek looking about the only thing one could add is you cant go slow enough and dont pay no attention to the footprints that someone made that morning. my last three trips produced a big handful that i haven't posted yet and someone had beat me to all 3 spots. this one creek i look has a few folks that look it after every rain my problem is its about 30 miles from my home and i cant just go as often as the locals so i have to do extra hard looking when i do get the chance to go. if you hunt by yourself like i do most of the time you have no competition so there is no need to rush from one pile to the next i sometimes spend hours on one pile going back and forth looking at every rock, chunk of clay and then look at it again. don't fool yourself thinking you will look it on the way back out your always to tired or the light has faded, its always something. as a rule of thumb just about every creek , ditch or river has something to give.

Comment

• CGriff61
        CGriff61 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great advice!!! I know I’m always itching to get further down the creek, foolishly thinking my odds will improve. I think your advice is exactly what I needed to hear.

So I have a small creek that runs the small valley where most of my shelters I dig are. I have yet to walk the creek it’s all sand and big chunk rocks no gravel bars. I have been wanting to search it but not sure where to start being it’s all sand bottom and big rock. Have any of you all had any experience in creeks like this if so what’s the best approach at?

Comment

Griff, one thing I'll add is try and go right after a rain. New things wash out all the time. End up in the creeks because it's the lowest spot. Wash down the banks. I'm probably only one or two counties away from you, but where I am, no farmland. Way too many people here. I'm lucky I have permission on two sites with a feeder creek. Most of my stuff comes from the banks or gravel beds. Admittedly it's been slow going for over a year now. Not kicking out too many points.
        Central Ohio

Comment

• CGriff61
          CGriff61 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks flintguy. I wondered if there were any contributors close proximity to me. I have struggled to find creeks remote enough, yet accessible enough to feel confident about my odds. I am actually close to Columbus but generally venture out an hour drive or so to hunt. I have spent countless hours hunting our area that way, yet with little ‘luck’. Although I have had some recent successes I credit to this forum.

The only thing I can add to all these fine suggestions is to pay particular attention to any smaller branches or tributaries that feed the main creek you are searching. I have found beautiful artifacts in small downhill feeders barely a foot wide. Also creeks with sandstone bluffs and sand bottoms have been good to me. I carry a homemade sifting pan in my backpack & find points sifting gravel bars. Happy trails , Piaget
        Last edited by Piaget; 08-08-2020, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• CGriff61
          CGriff61 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks piaget! I have read a lot about that feeder creek concept. I have intentionally followed any little feeders off of main creeks when I can. I haven’t had much luck with that. I stay optimistic though that I am in the right places. Do you have a method to where you sift? I made a homemade one but have only tried it a couple of times. I feel like I’m just splashing paint when I do it.

Griff , Sorry for the delay in answering. I really had to think about the answer to tell you anything that might help. My creek sifting methods only work cause I am sifting sand bottom creeks & the dominant creek material is flint & chert on top of the sand. I find a gravel bar on the downstream end of a sharp bend with a significant elevation drop. The reason I look for this setup is because it creates a natural catch basin. I also try to locate it where a smaller branch tributary intersects. I believe in finding a spot where mother nature has stacked the conditions in my favor. I also probe the area to be sifted with my walking stick & like to have at least 3 ft of sand to sift. I then go to work & sift & hopefully find. Hope my unscientific method helps you. Piaget

Comment

Okay, so it's better to come after it has rained? That's good to know! Is there an ideal season to come and search for historical artifacts in rivers? I guess it's different from one state to another, but if you guys know what's the best time to "hunt" where you live, that's already great. And it makes me travel a little: so far, I'm stuck at home, on the other side of the Atlantic, translating documents and writing press reviews about things like the new Spanish residence permit https://tranio.com/spain/residence/, and I won't go to the US until next summer or something like that, and thinking about how to plan that trip really makes me feel better.

Comment

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            When younger, loved to plan my next trip, what exactly I’d see, what I’d do! The USA is huge; how long will you get to be with us, and do you have an idea what part of country appeals to you? Not being nosy; just sorta living vicariously!

The South Platte river doesn't qualify as a creek but is there an advantage or disadvantage when walking a creek vs. a larger volume river? Or is it like realestate: location location location?

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I've never walked a river I'd like to but can't do it here.
        Working...
        X