Creek hunting... surface or digging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek hunting... surface or digging?

I’ve walked creeks around mid-eastern Missouri, especially Jackson Co . I have always surfaced hunted and found artifacts from paleo to Mississippian times. My question is: does anyone have better luck digging in creeks rather than surface hunting? Thanks for your time!
    Jackson County, Mo

Answers are going to vary on that question. Personally I've found a few artifacts in creeks but have way better luck in fields and digging. That's just me though.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

No help, I’m a Land Rover...
      Lubbock County Tx

Comment

I hunted creeks all my life and only recently have started finding a few pieces (as a learn more about finding higher odds locations and how to better systemically search when on the creek). I have only sifted a couple of times and no luck. I’m sure my lack of productivity is from my inexperience more than anything. I have however started walking fields this year. I LOVE it. So much less margin for error. Someone once said arrow head hunting in a field consists of finding rocks in a sea of dirt. Hunting creeks is finding specific types of rocks in a sea of rocks. I always wonder how many I’ve missed in the creek!
        Hunting in Central Ohio

Comment

Man you can find some gravel bars in some locations on some creeks/rivers that will astound you. IF it's legal. Not legal to collect artifact in "State" lands/waters anymore in FL after the abolishment of the Isolated Finds Program Click image for larger version

Name:	24_20.jpg
Views:	1199
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	487042 Click image for larger version

Name:	28_24.jpg
Views:	1147
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	487043 Click image for larger version

Name:	27_23.jpg
Views:	1164
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	487044
          Professor Shellman
          Tampa Bay

Comment

Hi Eastern, I have hunted river/ creek banks and Beaches many years. I very rarely do any digging. I know you don't have to dig to find Artifacts. I can't tell anyone how to find relics. All I can say is that I have seen several spots where unscruplious collectors have destroyed sites for their own profit. On one island site we measured one trench that was 75 feet long! with holes everywhere. I met the guy that was destroying the site. As it turned out he sold his entire collection and made BIG money. Once I hunted in the water on a beach site and found over 75 Artifacts! If you put in the time, you will find surface Artifacts. You really don't have to dig. Now on the other hand those who do dig, and take note and catalog all there finds they do, do a service. I try to record all my sites with the State Archaeological lab, so my research is not lost when I die. Very important. Kim
            Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Volfannumber1986
              Volfannumber1986 commented
              Editing a comment
              I try to document every single artifacts that I find also, I haven't saw many collectors ever mention this. I also think it is incredibly important.

I thank everyone for their responses! I definitely don’t care to mess up any landscape! I do appreciate it!
            Jackson County, Mo

Comment

Personally I love creeks...one good wash from a storm resets the puzzle... I have recently hunted fields and found quantity...but the creeks I hunt produce quality points!
              North Carolina

Comment

• Eastern
                Eastern commented
                Editing a comment
                I have never hunted fields yet. I do know I find an absolute ton of stuff in the creek I hunt but most are beaten up.

I have “artifact back” from just walking and looking down.
              If I had to dig I think I would install a wood stove and buy a chainsaw and call that my hobby.
              N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Every time I've tried digging creeks, I'm reminded how much work it is. Ugh. Walking, wherever, is just more relaxing for me. But... to each his own.
                Western Kentucky

Comment

I need to try it. If find so much debitage, flake knives and beat up stuff on every single rock bar that it is probably insane that I haven't tried it.
                  Jackson County, Mo

Comment

Depends on what season it is, spring, early summer I'm in the fields, come fall and winter it's a mix of digging, field walking and creek hunting until it snows. I've never dug in a creek but have had success sifting sandbars...best finds have come digging on sites. As Tom mentioned pay close attention to the laws.
                    Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I have found plenty of artifacts in creeks but the quality of them are better are if you have a really good spot to dig. However finding a really good spot to dig is really difficult in itself.
                      Anderson County, Tennessee

Comment

I have spent most of my time hunting creeks . Have not sifted as much as I probably should ? l have had lots of interesting finds at the base of root systems near creeks . Seems to me like it’s more than pieces getting caught up in roots . Not sure if it would be considered a cache .? But I think they sometimes staged things in the roots knowing that would’ve secured somehow ? I find variety of artifacts . All purpose tools . Effigy pieces etc. some points . But not smokers or great arrowheads . I feel like I am on the campsite for sure . But have started to think that maybe the better arrowheads are on higher grounds close to the creeks but on the ridges nearest tree lines overhangs of course if there or any type of hillsides . They could also make wigwams for shelter . However I am very new at it . I have not dug under rock areas yet . Have some spots near my creeks that I will try soon . Just tough when u don’t know where to start . I know that sometimes sometimes rock piles can be deceiving & I have noticed them in areas that I hunt . Making sure to never disturb things that you shouldn’t . I have seen things in the woods that appear that they could be spiritual in nature . I absolutely love this stuff . I do look forward to the digging process around , below or above the overhangs . I also want to make sure that I take the equal to replace & or give something back !!! Not sure if maybe dropping some plant or flower seeds for the animals is something appropriate ? Seems to me that they left a lot of great things , gifts behind for us to find . Seems to me they paid a lot of tribute to nature around them . Think it’s important to give back something. Think that’s how they did it . This is my first comment . Thanks Brian .

Comment

• Eastern
                          Eastern commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thank you for your response! I will try looking around roots next outing! I heard that before but never really tried. Welcome to the forum! These folks on here really know their stuff!

I have tried all three surface hunting I have had the most luck with. Ncreeks are tougher limited luck haven’t tried sifting the sand bars yet as for digging no luck at all but l am not deterred always wanting to try something different
                        NWOhio

Comment

Working...
                        X