Best artifact hunting tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best artifact hunting tool

​ Tape a big spoon to a golf stick. I think this is must have equipment. I can pickup any and all broken and busted rock and anything else I need to see closer and touch.
    I find more artifacts using. I cant tell you how many times Ive picked up something really good that I didn’t even see but was grabbing stuff with my stick to feel and looksee and drop just as fast. Cycling it, flint pocket, firerock ,drop, flip it out, turn, sort threw.
    its a great feeling when your stick grabs and you kinda flick it up in air with your wrist and catch in off hand and feel it before ever see.
    Attached Files
    N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

I would use that to get out of a sand trap from time to time as well.
    Central Ohio

Comment

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Used to play a lot of golf before the kids came along, but don't know about sand greens.

• Fat
      Fat commented
      Editing a comment
      Sand greens use to be common.
      Arthur Ne. landing strip use to have a green on each corner.

• flintguy
      flintguy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Fat. Just looked into them. Learned something new today becauseof this post...and you are right, apparently they used to be everywhere.

cool we had a guy named spanky on our forum that used this too. It looks like it would be good for getting soup or stew from someone else's bowl.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Fat
      Fat commented
      Editing a comment
      At least give a stir.

• CMD
      CMD commented
      Editing a comment
      Spanky used one, but it was his hunting partner Joe Roy from Kansas who made the spoon famous here. I miss both those guys.

My personal point/ material flipper, ect... and good to help me keep balanced at times. I've had this one over 10 years now and it won't get replaced until it completely falls apart. The tip of this thing has come in contact with many and saved me from many back aches.
    Attached Files
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Had these for awhile as well but nearly as long as the "point flipper".
      Attached Files
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• Lindenmeier-Man
        Lindenmeier-Man commented
        Editing a comment
        Look as bad as my boots. Everyone says go get some new redwings but they don’t understand that the break in period can cripple a guy...

• Benji
        Benji commented
        Editing a comment
        Probably should contact the manufacturer...they may be able to use you story to sell more shoes😁

• antmike915
        antmike915 commented
        Editing a comment
        Walmart clearance isle special, I think the brand name wore off a while ago 🙂

My neice just put white stings in my shoes but I refuse to wear that hat with the big ears... micky mouse style?

Comment

The golf club spoon (goon? Splub?)...is.....something. Who was it that said necessity is the mother of modern invention? Something along those lines? Pretty impressive. We use fiberglass cattle prods. My boy and I argue who gets to use the blue one. It has all the lucky mo-jo. The red one dosent produce.
        Western Kentucky

Comment

I really like you Fat. I've been using a Golf Club with a sharpened Bolt for the tip for 25 or 30 years now I'm on my 2nd one. I've never saw anyone use this type of hunting stick until you posted this. I've used mine as a machetty many times they are so durable. Thanks for the post. Kim
          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

The only time you have to be careful about if hard blowing sand. Moving sand, sand moving by the wind produces static electricity.
            I have been knocked off a center pivot from shorted 440, about half those stories end with a funeral.
            That was nothing compaired to shock from static beach.

Comment

Kim, I use the same stick, thought I invented it LOL. Took a long driver with a True Temper steel shaft. Cut the club head off. Cut the head off a 1/4" x 6" lag screw. JB Kwik Welded it with threads hidden inside the shaft. Ground tip to a smooth point on my grinding wheel. Lost my lucky stick the other day at one of my new permission farms. Leaned it against my back tire while I took my jacket off, and drove off. Oh well, easy to make another one. Pushed myself up from a crouch many times and the tip never came loose. This is the wife's which has a rubber grip, I prefer a leather grip.
              Midland Co, TX - "My neck hurts from looking down!"

Comment

Originally posted by TexAg View Post
                Kim, I use the same stick, thought I invented it LOL. Took a long driver with a True Temper steel shaft. Cut the club head off. Cut the head off a 1/4" x 6" lag screw. JB Kwik Welded it with threads hidden inside the shaft. Ground tip to a smooth point on my grinding wheel. Lost my lucky stick the other day at one of my new permission farms. Leaned it against my back tire while I took my jacket off, and drove off. Oh well, easy to make another one. Pushed myself up from a crouch many times and the tip never came loose. This is the wife's which has a rubber grip, I prefer a leather grip.
                It looks exactly like mine Tex. I've worn out 2 tips on the one I use today,
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• TexAg
                  TexAg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Great minds think alike Kim!

I remember the guy who used to be here with that tool. Brings back good memories. It’s a good idea. I use an old bamboo ski pole. Light weight, and a nice steel tip for flipping over rocks. A friend of mine gave me one for hunting ducks in sloughs. It will save you from tipping over, when your feet sink into the mud.
                South Dakota

Comment

I just make my own but I need to add another coat of sealant on it about wore it out. My boots the soles were falling off so I added some bathroom clear sealant on the bottoms and sprayed black paint over it so you can't see the white lol. Still using them works so far.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

• HBird
                    HBird commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I did the same thing with my fishing wader boots. The felt was falling off the bottom so I got a tube of clear silicone put it on the bottom of the boots and reattached the felt to the sole then I took a 2x4 and a couple C-clamps and held them together for a day so the silicone could cure. I didn’t have to use any paint since the silicone dries clear. Worked like a charm

• SurfaceHunter
                    SurfaceHunter commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I was thinking of getting the tube that says Hard as Nails and letting it dry or super glue

• HBird
                    HBird commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes liquid nails would probably work good

Thats a good idea for a flipper/scooper! I use a stainless steel probing rod that has a poly plastic handle that i got from my friends dad when i was in high school. So maybe 25 years ive kept up with it, somehow, and flipped over thousands of artifacts fossils bottles and anything else imaginable. Its very sentimental to me! And was just an old car antenna ground to a point with handle attached. But i like it bc i can literally feel and sometimes hear what something is or made from just by tapping it. Ive also used a fiberglass bowfishing arrow with metal tip. They work good for swiping a layer of leaves away from the ground. And are strong enough to swat and break sticks and limbs when u get in the thick stuff. As well as keeping you from sticking your hands in places snakes like to hide. And of course anything for knocking down the spider webs! Ive seen all kinds of things people use and everybody has something they like or is their good luck “charm”, such as my probing rod is to me. Not always most practical but it brings me good luck!

Comment

Working...
                  X