Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I have access to a perennial spring. Need tips and advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have access to a perennial spring. Need tips and advice.

I have access to a clear running spring in a 40 acre area of a hardwood forest. The spring comes out of a small hillside. The spring is about ten to fifteen feet wide at the source and travels about ten yards before forming a shallow clear stream about three feet wide. The stream bed is stones, pebbles and sand. The stream travels for about fifty yards before running into a swampy area. I’ve only done a quick recon of the area and I need some advice. The surrounding ground is as hard as concrete and leaf litter is everywhere. The last time I was there was mid spring the the new growth was already getting going so not the best time to look for artifacts. Should I bring a leaf rake for surface hunting? Digging in pretty much a no go. Any tips or advice would be of a great help. Sorry if I rambled on to long.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Let your stick do the work!
    N.E Colorado, Nebraska panhandle

Comment

Grab the rubber boots and have at er.. swamp as well
      good luck trav... now is the best time for standing corn.
      all that summer rain, there just waiting to be picked up ... go get um....✌️
      Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

yes, rake, maybe blower! Get in that spring run.
        Professor Shellman
        Tampa Bay

Comment

Take a leaf blower..when we worked the rivers, we had an electric trolling motor, battery, long cables, waterproofed em , silt went downriver,1972, can’t do it now. my diving buddy didn’t figure that setup out till the end of my diving days ( due to spending more time with family to avoid a divorce, thank heaven I was jerked back into reality)...Hey Trav, I have no doubts, if there’s stuff there, you the man to rescue ..
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Without a doubt, leaf rake and leaf blower, maybe something to scratch the surface too like a rock rake. Done this myself many times with good success. I would check the high ground next to spring first. Good luck and keep us posted.
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Thanks guys. I need to get back to the spring but deer season has put a damper on the site for now. Luckily the cornfield is still on the list for finds. Just need the weather and my work schedule to both line up.

Comment

Hi Trev, I agree. Leaf rake. Kim
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Sounds like quartz creek but minus the swamp. Should be a good campsite right above the spring. Down from the spring where it meets the creek I found a nice celt in the creek so I know the main camp is close to the area. Good luck I hope to see you posting some finds soon.
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

All the above is great advice Trav, sounds like a great area.
                    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

I’m heading to the spring site on Saturday. We need to clear some sight lines around a deer blind so no one will be hunting in the morning. Muck boots and a rake are on the tool list for the day.
                      👍😁

Comment

Well my outing was a bust. Seems the big skunk had it in for me. Too many downed leaves and still to much vegetation along the small stream. Gonna regroup in the spring for a full push on the site. I did have a great day in the woods with my dad and you can’t top that.
                        👍😃

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                          SurfaceHunter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          At least you went. I do all of my home chores this time of the year until the rains come back and wash the leaves away.

Yep. Still waiting for the corn to be harvested on my main site. I still have some more searching to do before the ground freezes solid. I’ve got a feeling something is waiting for me out there.

Comment

I would focus on animal crossing sites. Chances are, they were prime locations for hunting back in the day.
                          South Carolina

Comment

I would wade the stream if possible. Betcha got some fishing boots!
                            Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

Working...
                            X