Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help! Got permission on new property

Originally posted on T-net

Hey all, I’m back home for the holidays and have a great opportunity to do some digging on a site known to hold artifacts. It’s on the property of a golf course. When they tore up the land to create the course, many artifacts were found. The property borders a freshwater creek and along that creek there is a buffer of untouched woods. I got permission to dig in that woods and will be heading out tomorrow.

I’ve found artifacts in SC on the surface, but am totally new to digging. Does anyone have suggestions on where to start? I’m hopeful because arifacts have been found there before, but am unsure of how to dig for artifacts, where I should be digging, and all the techniques involved. I realize the answers are all over, but I was hoping that since this is on such short notice (I’m heading out there tomorrow) you all could help give me a crash course on digging for artifacts in the woods!

Thanks!
    South Carolina

If you can see any rock bars in the creek and if you have permission look the rock bars first,
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

Another piece of advice, i would not tell anyone the area and keep the digging where it can't bee seen. if anyone finds the area you will loose your permission fast and people will slip in on golf course to dig for artifacts and whoever gave you permission will not be happy with you.
      South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

• Hal Gorges
        Hal Gorges commented
        Editing a comment
        Good advice...

• paohrocks
        paohrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        I will second that.

I’d hang out edge of woods buffer as close to creek as possible (if can’t get into sandbars in creek itself like WillJo’s better advice). I’m excited for you! May the spirits of those who made the artifacts guide you....
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

I was going to start a new topic about digging but I think this one works. Anybody have any idea how deep to dig? I have a site I have started digging. A little over a foot down I am hitting red clay hardpan. Should I dig that clay or only dig until I reach it? It's a hilltop
        NC

Comment

• paohrocks
          paohrocks commented
          Editing a comment
          Another piece of good advice Jethro.

• HBird
          HBird commented
          Editing a comment
          One of my digging spots I am down almost 7 feet and still finding stuff. It’s a real hard packed sandy type of soil and it’s changed colors 3 times.I have no idea how deep it’s going to be before I hit the hard pan / clay layer. Another one of my spots the ground is horrible to dig, and you wouldn’t think there would be much for artifacts there but it’s got quite a bit of stuff. The first 2-3 feet it’s basically 5-6 inches of topsoil then it’s just a blend of loomy soil a ton of rocks anywhere from 2-20 inches in diameter, you literally can’t stick a shovel in the ground without hitting a couple rocks. Then under that stuff is some hard packed clay and believe it or not I find stuff up to 6 inches down in that clay. So I guess what I’m trying to say is don’t let the hard pan stuff fool you, dig into it a little bit you might be surprised

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow 7 foot! I believe in hard work producing good artifacts but ive never dug or had a desire to dig. Much less a place i could. That is some serious dedication! They dont make a shovel that fits my hands, so ill stick with what i know i guess. Haha

Last few posts people are taking pieces out of the sides when the creek / river recedes .Just like looking on a washed out road . How many feet down Mother Nature did the digging for you right !!!

Comment

I tried sifting the the creek that I have permission to walk. Built a nice sifter from 2inch PVC and cable tied screen to it. whew!!! Didn't find anything after a day of it. Sifter is sitting at the
          back of my shed since. That is a lot of work digging through Rockbars. Since I am the only one in there on private property I will let Mother Nature do her thing. She has took pretty good
          care of me so far Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0914 (2).JPG
Views:	214
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	605181

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Good looking frame of some killer points. And yes Mother Nature can be our best friend, yet can be our worst enemy as well some times. She always gets me with those killer shaped leaves! Those are the enemy! But on the other hand, those leaves do tend to hide alot of good stuff some hunters are to lazy to move or rake away. I always find my best stuff in the hard to get to places, under stuff, tucked way in the back, or further than most people can walk or get to. As for digging though, count me out. Unless we are using a backhoe or the like! Haha Many great things are found from digging but it is time consuming, labor intensive, and often unproductive unless you just know the area real well. And fill in any holes id say too. Im sure the landowner doesnt want a bunch of randomly dug holes throughout their property and besides, i dont want to happen to come behind you one day and break an ankle! Hahaha. Good luck though

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0767 (3).JPG
Views:	207
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	605184

Comment

If you can find sand dig there first.its aloteasier.to dig.remeber.your steel shovel is the equivalent of a backhoe to us.compaired to there tools . Also stay out of sight and out of mind!!!good luck

Comment

Each geographic area of the US has different soil. A lot of what might be correct in new england will be different from the South Eatern States. The base of a hill might even have more soil built up than flat ground a forest compared to a meadow the plains comapered to woodlands.desert, nountains, flood plains . It is all different. A geoligist might say one thing but you wont really know until you dig. I was told by an anthropologist in Connecticut that a good rule of thumb in CT is 1 inch of soil equals 400 years time span. I dug a nice Bifurcate and a uniface blade at a depth of 22 inches one day and did the math. 8800 years old. I was not at the hardpan yet. Click image for larger version  Name:	image_20668.jpg Views:	1 Size:	148.2 KB ID:	605806
              Last edited by Hoss; 12-14-2021, 07:06 PM.
              TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Hoss
                Hoss commented
                Editing a comment
                That little uniface is the only piece of material I have ever found in Connecticut like it. Its very unusual. It is fine grained and flinty in appearance.

Hoss.....That little bifuricated looks pretty cute.... nice and marbly from the photo

Comment

Working...
              X