Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hunting arrowheads where others have already been?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting arrowheads where others have already been?

The past few days I have been going to my regular spots and I cant help but notice the other foot prints in the sand?? I have always never thought about it but is it a good idea to look where someone else has already looked? I do understand that humans walk over a lot of nice things, but. . . what are the odds of finding something really nice that someone has walked over?? please respond I would like to hear some of you're opinions on this.

The odds are always good if there are artifacts in the area.  (IMO)  Nobody can find them all.

Comment

I guess it kind of depends on where your spot is.  If its the sand by a lake,  then maybe someone
      is just fishing,  or walking along the water.  I would have to think most people aren't looking for artifacts at all.   I walked for 44 years before I started looking for arrowheads.  I didn't think there were any left to find.   :laugh:  :laugh:   Little did I know.   For that matter,  I've walked over my own footprints a couple times before I spotted something.    Gary
      South Dakota

Comment

I have been on forums for a long time and have never seen this asked. What a great guestion. Don't want to bore you...but some observations. I hunt a very good, but heavily hunted area. I see foot prints just about all the time unless I am the first one there.. Its the first thing I look for. Fishermen walk a straight line along the bank, ocassionaly stopping, set their bucket down, and stay awhile. Arrowhead hunters walk rows or drunken sailor along. I hunt some of my better Mississippian sites which are always sandy, it seems, sometimes 5 or 6 times a year, at least after every good rain in the spring. Read the prints for what they are doing and how old they are. I have made some of my best finds on freshly hunted sites, a couple of times literally in the footprint of another. If it looks like they were hunting artifacts, beat them there after the next good rain lol.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

I agree with Ray- I've found some great relics in or close to others' tracks. On the other hand, I hate others' tracks, especially when I have sole permission to be there. On a super site I will walk no matter how many tracks, but I prefer to see nothing but dirt and rocks whenever I walk. If your sites are tracked up bad and you find nothing, it's time to find new sites.

Comment

There were numerous footprints around the Hardin in my profile pic. There was only one ear/notch exposed when I found it though...Just means you gotta look harder than the last guy...

Comment

i see that alot in some of my good spot. i went one day and every place i went the same set of tracks were every where. i walked it anyway and found a nice yadkin next to a foot print they missed.my best advice try to be the first one out there after a heavy rain.

Comment

I have found nice points laying alongside the fresh footprints of others and my wife has found nice points laying aside my footprints. Nobody finds everything and everybody misses something.
                Rhode Island

Comment

I just found three pieces yesterday on a spot i had walked once solo and two other times with a friend.  When i found them, I had thought to myself as to how in the heck did we miss these pieces that were so obvious to spot...you just never know! If you look at my post from yesterday on The artifacts and arrowheads forum...i found the tan one with speckles, the white base with big stem and a small dork grey triangle.  So keep walkin good grounds.

Comment

Working...
                  X