How can you tell what size points are in a area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can you tell what size points are in a area

When you discover a knew spot whether it be a field, creek, or side of the river. How do you go about getting a good idea on how big or small the points are in that area. Do you base you're thoughts on how big the chippings are or how small they are. I've always thought that when you find a bunch of really small chippings in an area they where actually sitting there and articulately chipping away. And I've always thought that when you find bigger chips that they weren't staying in that area long. But can you base you're knowledge on how big or small the points are going to be in an area on the chipping sizes of flint in a spot? please respond I would like to see some of you're opinions on this?

There's no tellin'.

Comment

Never know what you are going to find!
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Larger points were resharpened often and got smaller through their usage life. So, like Ruthie said, there's really no tellin and as Greg observed, you never know what you'll find.
        Rhode Island

Comment

With my Forrest Gump voice, " Findin points is like a box of chocolates...you never know what your gunna get!"

Comment

I like Jesse's answer, it's the truth. LOL
            Seriously tho, every field goes through the different time periods of the natives that were there and all  the different period's had points of all different sizes. The Archaic period probably has the widest variety of sizes mostly because it is the longest single period and had many, many different point types covering the entire US.

Comment

Working...
            X