A legal question about Missouri's creeks & rivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A legal question about Missouri's creeks & rivers

This is a quick question for those of you that hunt for artifacts in Missouri. What are the state laws regarding creeks and rivers? Who owns the land in the bed of a creek/river? Does the size of the creek/river determine who has rights to access it (navigation rights)? I found what looks like a great creek to walk, about 30 to 60 feet wide in most places, with lots of sand and gravel bars. My problem is the plat map does not show the owners, so getting permission is going to be tricky. I can access the creek easily without crossing any private property. What are the states' laws regarding public access to creeks -and- rivers? I would much rather get permission, if required, but it made me wonder what the public's rights are. Thanks

I've been wondering the same thing when it comes to creeks.  Its my guess that rivers are right of ways,  but I could be wrong.  I'm not sure about creeks.    Gary
    South Dakota

Comment

Thanks for the reply.  With bundled mortgages -and- foreclosures, land leases and subleases, state owned or managed lands, etc., finding the right owner to get permission to look for artifacts on a particular piece of property can be quite challenging, as I am learning. A friend of mine joked that sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  With bundled mortgages -and- foreclosures, land leases and subleases, state owned or managed lands, etc., finding the right owner to get permission to look for artifacts on a particular piece of property can be quite challenging, as I am learning. A friend of mine joked that sometimes it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.
          You are right about the work it can take to get a face to face with a property owner these days. Things have changed immensely since I began, I can't imagine starting over. I like your friends quote, although these days I think a little different. However, I have used this line twice long ago and it worked both times with landowners lol.
        Like a drifter I was born to walk alone

Comment

you might check fishing laws and small streams public access,,ts

Comment

Missouri Mule wrote:

This is a quick question for those of you that hunt for artifacts in Missouri.  What are the state laws regarding creeks and rivers?  Who owns the land in the bed of a creek/river?  Does the size of the creek/river determine who has rights to access it (navigation rights)?  I found what looks like a great creek to walk, about 30 to 60 feet wide in most places, with lots of sand and gravel bars.  My problem is the plat map does not show the owners, so getting permission is going to be tricky.   I can access the creek easily without crossing any private property.  What are the states' laws regarding public access to creeks -and- rivers?  I would much rather get permission, if required, but it made me wonder what the public's rights are.   Thanks
                cant say where u live.here its my understanding that if u can navigate a water way u can travel throug.some land owners own both sides of the creek and dont see it that way.i would rather know i have an ok from the land owner for piece of mind and piece for the hobby.

Comment

Working...
            X