Need advice on digging an overhang

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on digging an overhang

In this picture is a field on my families farm that backs up to the big river in Missouri. There is a big camp as soon as soon as the field rises up on the right side of the picture, the black circle is the overhang. I’m wondering if there will be anything if dig it. I’m concerned because it’s in the flood plain part of the field, the ground looks extremely hard and almost green. Any advice would help
    Attached Files

In this picture is a field on my families farm that backs up to the big river in Missouri. There is a big camp as soon as soon as the field rises up on the right side of the picture, the black circle is the overhang. I’m wondering if there will be anything if dig it. I’m concerned because it’s in the flood plain part of the field, the ground looks extremely hard and almost green. Any advice would help

Comment

Welcome to the site. Do some probing and or test holes and see what you find. If it is in the flood plain no telling how many times the soils may have been disturbed. The camp, is that the sandy looking ridge running North to South? Looks like a good location. Good luck.
      Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• MOlithics
        MOlithics commented
        Editing a comment
        Right above that sandy part on the right side is the camp it elevates out of flood plain and flattens out.

• MOlithics
        MOlithics commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

Welcome to the forum. SGT.Digger digs a lot of overhangs and shelters, hopefully he will see your post.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

• MOlithics
        MOlithics commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks

Welcome to the site Mo. I'm not a digger, however I am an Archaeologist, so if it was on my property I would go ahead. Please take lots of pictures and notes. I would start slow at on end and work my way to the other. Deposits may be a hinderance. So you may have to dig deep to find the bottom of occupation. I also would screen everything. If you encounter charcoal, try to save the biggest pieces for further analyses. And if there is charcoal examine it closely, you may find evidence of food seeds. Save everything and bag it if you can and mark the bags for depth and location. By doing all this you destroy the site, but have all the information needed for study in the future. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Your fortunate to have a ready made shelter close to water and what I’m seeing is far enough away from water/ main river . I see some drainage coming off that hillside near your location. Not sure how big your site is but there may be a nice rock outcrop there . As I stated your fortunate because that shelter collected artifacts from many generations and are deposited in one spot verses a huge field/ campsite ect that have artifacts scattered over hundreds of yards . I’ve seen where there’s lots of artifacts around or on top of the ground above shelters too . They would have done a lot of their processing and butchering/ other work outside the shelters and tools will be scattered all around them . They are one huge artifact really and do tell an amazing story. Take lots of pictures and if you do dig keep it secret 🤫 and keep your screens (you should screen/sift every thing 1/4” hardware cloth) out of site of people that might be driving by if possible. You might wake up to find potholes where folks slip in and help themselves at night or broad daylight. I’ve had to run off groups of people on one of the largest shelters on the property I have access to and have yet to dig it . Darn it I need to go there Sadly most of what’s under the 30+ yard overhang has been dug up but there’s treasures a plenty beyond the natural shelter out in front so I encourage you to try different areas around yours. Good luck

Comment

I just though of another aspect. If you are encountering organic material , Please do some float tests. That is to simply put some of your material into a bucket of water and the Organics will float to the surface. Collect this debris. Spread this onto a towel or news paper at home and allow it to dry. Using a magnifying glass you can identify things like small fish or bird bones, seeds. and other things you would have missed. Kim
          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

• Colorado EB
            Colorado EB commented
            Editing a comment
            Great hearing about the tricks of the trade.

There is a site/ overhang here in CO that I’ve talked to the owners about hunting it in trade for some of my house painting work.

I’m trying to find the best approach to ask them about letting me dig.it’s a lot to ask especially for a land owner who doesn’t really care about “rocks”. I keep thinking about how and what I can plant in the place I dig so that it’s a better deal for him.

Anyway I know who to ask about the process now. Thank you.

Welcome Mo.
          It's been my observation that long term habitation sites or sites that have been repeatedly used for thousands of years have a far reaching scatter.

I'm a Texas digger. We have lots of pay digs in Texas that are screen digs and hand digs. With that, I've noticed that many times the repeated occupation sites have hot spots and cooler spots, sometimes encompassing a few acres. Prehistoric people would dip in and out of the flood plains depending on the season and time frame they were there. Changing water courses, tree cover, etc. all plays into it.

Depending on habitation depths, shovel tests, auger tests, and a small backhoe will help you locate sweeter areas. Start with the most obvious and work from there. Usually any lithic scatter on the surface is the youngest, but that doesn't mean its the only place they camped in that location.
          Good luck
          FGH Check out my artifact store at Lone Star Artifact Reclaim

Comment

The shelter itself is likely much older than the camp in the field. No telling what you might find.

welcome from Arkansas.
            Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Working...
            X