Little Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little Help

I don't ask for help to often especially with no pictures. The owners live right across the street and I doubt they would like me taking pictures so I didn't. But anyway I went to this field that got turned and got permission the other day. Its red clay and very chunky more than usual. It's pretty big really hard to walk cause its not planted so no rows. It starts low and to the left is a shallow hill that goes upwards at a slight slope then levels before the next hill kind of like a 3 tier hill. Well I started on the left side and found what I believe is a quarry site by all of the different colors of chert. I didn't find anything worked just sliced by the disc. Got to the top of that hill then found a few flakes. Went to the right of the quarry and found a broken blade tip pretty big broke right at a inclusion. Then went up the taller hill to the top. Found more debitage but no artifacts. Went back down turned left going to the lowest section and found nothing. My question is where would you think the camp is or maybe its just a quarry site and no camp at all? I plan to try again in a couple of weeks after all this rain gets over maybe something will pop. Let me know
    NW Georgia,

Hard to say surface....i would think the more debitage you are seeing in that one spot should turn up something....ive been to a new site of mine.....tons of flakes, little flakes.....ive been to this spot several times and only found a beat up old point...what concerns me is the red clay in your description, i would prefer to see more brown top soil so to speak, but maybe that red clay is predominant in your area....sounds like you are on a good spot if finding debitage....maybe the dirt needs to be turned more....id give it a couple more hunts for sure
    Benny / Western Highland Rim / Tennessee

Comment

My guess would be just up hill from a water source. Springs are a prime location and some springs in my area are no longer visible since there are a lot of new wells in the area that have caused the water table to drop some. Well, that's the local theory anyways.
      South Carolina

Comment

I did forget a tad of information there is a natural creek that flows all year long on the other end of the field i didn't walk that side cause its low land and was muddy. I would guess a few thousand years ago it was probably underwater.
        NW Georgia,

Comment

• SGT.Digger
          SGT.Digger commented
          Editing a comment
          As long as it’s out of the flood plain should be good .

Definitely some type of activity went on there, just maybe not much. I would check it out again once this rain is done ; especially the areas that you found some flakes, ect.. That area sounds like one of my S. GA spots, this area I'm talking about is strange; the high ground absolutely nothing but the lower part is loaded and right across the street is the opposite.
        🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
          SurfaceHunter commented
          Editing a comment
          Well now you have me thinking. I hunt creeks so much its totally different from fields.

Walking it again and even again after the rains might give you better clues as to where and what. Sounds like it could be promising.
        Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I usually concentrate where I find good artifacts. The broken blade tip spot is where I would return first. New rain might give you all the answers you need.
          South Dakota

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            I did find some test rocks in that level. Thanks for the help

Like Gary said. Where u found the tip. And I would wanna get above the water area when you can glenn
          SW Connecticut

Comment

I'm hoping the grass doesn't grow up fast before I can get back out there. Thanks for the help
            NW Georgia,

Comment

• redrocks
              redrocks commented
              Editing a comment
              YW Ain't any danger olf grass growing here anytime soon.....hope you beat it. But I think you said it's hitting 70 down there?

• SurfaceHunter
              SurfaceHunter commented
              Editing a comment
              Not now 40s and a week of rain hopefully it will break up the chunks. The tractor tires usually break them down but they didn't plant it yet if it stays damp they won't plant.

Any updates on your hunting at this site?
            Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Trav View Post
              Any updates on your hunting at this site?
              I'm trying but it just keeps raining cant walk it seeing its red clay cause its so muddy. I know you guys up north are getting pounded with the snow but I'm getting the rain. Rained again last night and into today. I'm hoping it won't rain again for a few days. Next week they say rain for a solid week and beyond.
              NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                Farmer already smoothed out for planting i know he wouldn't want me leaving big footprints in his field

• Uncle Trav
                Uncle Trav commented
                Editing a comment
                That clay type mud really sucks. I have a bean field that I hunt that is all thick clay. You can walk ten feet and gain four inches in height and an extra ten pounds on your boots. Not very fun.

• Tradewater kenny
                Tradewater kenny commented
                Editing a comment
                Old man called it tall dirt..farther you walk taller you get...made me laugh..

I know of a few feilds that dont get planted anymore full of flint small and large pieces all over it..never do find anything there hopefully yours isn't like that...

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
                SurfaceHunter commented
                Editing a comment
                I still have many fields with permission but none that got turned but this one so far. I lost a lot as well with construction. I still have a few private creeks also so far.

If it just got turned and your finding all that you will no doubt bring em home after a few rains. Awesome that you have a place so close . If was a “quarry “ site then why would it be so distributed. Sounds like they camped everywhere to me. Must also be a spring or creek drainage nearby. Cant live without water .

Comment

Quarry sites in MY experience do not have occupations right on them. Mostly several 100 yards away near a water source. Our quarry sites were used by many different groups, and were considered as a Sacred site where even mortal enemies would quarry side by side. No fighting on a Sacred sites. Hence their occupations were further away. Kim
                Last edited by Mattern; 02-23-2021, 03:31 PM. Reason: spelling
                Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

There isn't big cobble pieces maybe they were brought in im thinking that spot might be the campsite but until it dries out I can't get back to find out. Just as soon as I can get a day like today off from work I'm going to find out. Thanks for all of the suggestions
                  NW Georgia,

Comment

Working...
                  X