Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Glacial erratics and big ol’ leaverite boulders.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glacial erratics and big ol’ leaverite boulders.

We have literally tons of big boulders and rocks sitting alone in the woods and fields around my area. And I’m talking some as big as a small car. Most were to big for farmers to bother to move. My question is have any of you folks investigated around similar rocks? Seems to me that these large rocks could serve as a land mark or a meeting point since they stick out like a sore thumb in many areas. I know of one probably weighing over a thousand pounds near a spring on family property. Thought I’d take the trowel to the area around the big boy and see what turns up. Could these have been used as a waypoint marker on seasonal migrations or as markers for campsites or seasonal meeting places? Just figured I’d throw the question out there. I’ll have a look as soon as I can get back out to the property.
    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

I know of a few back in CT that were dug before I got to them. I know the bigger ones were used to shelter. We had a couple nearby that were big as a house. Smaller ones were probably used as landmarks. You never know one might be a spot where stuff was cached.
    TN formerly CT Visit our store http://stores.arrowheads.com/store.p...m-Trading-Post

Comment

• Uncle Trav
      Uncle Trav commented
      Editing a comment
      A chace spot was my first thought. More than I could hope for though

Real familiar with whayour talking bout..hadn't dug any but I've surface hunted lot of good stuff has turned up...

Comment

That’s the way to find stuff Trav, follow your instincts not the norm...Don’t always color inside the lines...Cross the yellow lines in the highway sometimes..Get the POINT
      Floridaboy.

Comment

Any natural platform or rock near a creek that was used as a campsite would have lots of artifacts around it. I’ve found my best artifacts around big boulders at midden/campsites and you will too if they are associated with a site.

Comment

A friend of mine has a spring fed pond with a couple boulders at the top of the hill. We've been talking about digging around them to see if there might be a cache of some sort.
          South Carolina

Comment

Unless in a likely location the randomness of how they got deposited I think would relegate most to not likely. But yours by the spring, worth checking out.
            Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Still snow in the deeps woods by the spring. I plan on going full on Phil Harding around that big boulder. Should be a fun search
              Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Good luck
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Uncle Trav
                  Uncle Trav commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks. Just being in the woods will be worth the time and effort.
                  👍😃

I've got some of those, by a spring too. I tried digging a little a few days ago (first time digging) and the loam was 2' deep, and it was thick with roots. Dunno if yours looks like mine but maybe you can give me some tips if you figure out a good strategy? No body I know is even slightly interested in this stuff so it's just me on my own.

Got my fingers crossed for ya!
                Attached Files
                Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Comment

Working...
                X