Eminent Domain? [Laurens County, SC]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eminent Domain? [Laurens County, SC]

There's a place I plan to look on private property I manage, where it was cleared for power lines using Eminent Domain. Private property laws still apply to that area, right? I doubt anyone would care either way but it made me curious.
    Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

I can't speak specifically about your state but typically access to power lines is provided through a legal easement specifically for the maintenance of the poles, lines and to keep brush and trees down. The land is still owned by landowner.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

Greg gives sound advice. Where I live the power company has an easement on part of our farm but we still own the property.
      Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

I agree with Greg and Chris. In Michigan most easements are still property of the land owner.
        Michigan Yooper
        If You Don’t Stand for Something, You’ll Fall for Anything

Comment

Here in California I have power and road easements across property that I own and pay taxes on and deeded easements across other property owners land . A lot of lawsuits over road /water / power / and trail easements in California . We have trails all over which is a good thing some days all to your self .
          Last edited by south fork; 03-05-2021, 04:05 PM.

Comment

You just need a hard hat and a clip board. 😉 My old boss used to have a job inspecting trees for the power company.
            South Carolina

Comment

• south fork
              south fork commented
              Editing a comment
              I hear that I always see someone with a hard hat and a clip board or starring at there phone .

Echo what others said, from Ky. Power lines fall under "easement" not Eminent Domain. We do have instances of E.D. where the TVA came in and took land to create Barkley and Kentucky Lakes. Whole different situation
            Western Kentucky

Comment

If it’s legal, I would have it moldboard plowed every other year if it has promise : ) Wish they still did that, we’d have a lot more fun

Comment

Just go for it!! Sometimes it’s easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission. Lol
                Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• gregszybala
                  gregszybala commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Seriously? You know better and you know we don't condone.

What kind of response is that HBird? He essentially has permission if he manages the property but if he didn't that would be trespassing.
                Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• HBird
                  HBird commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was my bad sense of humor getting the best of me once again. I know trespassing is something that is not condoned on this site. I personally despise people who have the audacity to just go roaming around wherever they want without having permission. That saying is just a personal joke between me and a couple of my friends and by no means was I trying to say trespassing is ok to do. I apologize for writing it and since I’m apparently outclassed here I will just stop posting anything so I’m not risking offending anyone else. I guess if you have a hard hat and clipboard that’s okay 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
                  Last edited by HBird; 03-18-2021, 08:26 PM.

HBird I got the joke, no worries.
                Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Comment

Working...
                X