Walking fields that don't get plowed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walking fields that don't get plowed

I just got permission from a farmer to walk his fields to search for artifacts but he said he doesn't plow or disc them. He directed me to a particular area to search where he said his kids used to find stuff way back when. Is it worthwhile to walk fields that don't get turned over? I'll definitely try anyway after a good rain but I'm curious if my chances are bad. Anybody have luck in fields like this?

Tough call, I would try it once and if you don't find anything (material or artifacts) I wouldn't worry about it. You should be able to judge that after your 1st time.
    🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

What state? If you walk it in the winter when it's cold if no cover crop has been planted you might see some dirt.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Hi Neilbert. I've always found it to be counter productive. But I have found Artifacts in the strangest places. I had a neighbor who had a wooded hill on his property, that he cleared of under brush and planted and mowed grass. Almost every time I walked his lawn I found points. So go for it. You never know! Kim
        Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

As long as the weeds are getting sprayed, it’s worth a shot.
          slow down , look hard in the bare patches... ya never know...✌️
          Southeastern Minnesota’s driftless area

Comment

If you’re serious about finding stuff, anything is worth one shot.good luck.
            Floridaboy.

Comment

I'd try it. Look for bare dirt, of any kind. Wash outs, erosion, animal disturbance. I have a pasture field that has never seen a plow/disk, but the cattle will stomp around and flip points out of a wash out. Dont get your hopes up. It's a long shot. But...every once in a while those long shots pay off.
              Western Kentucky

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Tam always says “let the animals do the work” (or something like that!) She’s got some great stories about burrow entrances, and remember chickens scratched up my pretty pink point!

• Hal Gorges
                Hal Gorges commented
                Editing a comment
                That’s true enough Sis, but not everyone has trained chickens.

This year from unplowed fields . Usually brokes but get lucky once in awhile.

Comment

Yes it's worthwhile to look, but not the same way you would in a plowed field. Look anywhere there's exposed dirt or washouts, doesn't need to be a big patch the arrowheads will find their way there. Definitely look where he pointed you, that's the best possible info you could have for anywhere. Don't bother walking the whole field, grass and roots won't let that soil budge. Check run offs, washouts, and around creeks.
                Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Comment

Working...
                X