Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting real jealous of y'all's big beautiful pieces, I want some of my own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mailman
    commented on 's reply
    Dagger/knife.

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    Be glad not one of the guys, coz I have (lovingly) blasted them a time or two! I was rock collector who realized, way after found it, that my favorite milk white quartz kept in jewelry box was Bonham point, very, very, very old. I only find quartz (99%), and believe me, your lumpy dumpy pieces are beautiful!!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 04-30-2021, 07:22 PM.

• Mailman
    commented on 's reply
    To answer your question, PERSONALLY, I only find big points in creeks. My Mentor tells of "the good ole days" when fields were deep plowed and left to weather all winter. Back then he found those big G10s laying in the fields.

I never saw those days. By the time I got into it, the plows were parked in the scrap yard, and best we can hope for is a good disking. Which...breaks the points to pieces. Occasionally, if the backwater hits a sandy spot just right, a killer will wash out. But 90% of my really nice posts are creek finds.

Hope that helps

• Hal Gorges
    commented on 's reply
    Couldn’t happen to a nicer person.

• Mailman
    commented on 's reply
    Gulp.

• Mailman
    commented on 's reply
    You'll get there.

• Narrow Way Knapper
    commented on 's reply
    The side closer to my finger tips was facing up and maybe only 1/4 of the point was visible. I do not have an insitu, because I thought it might be cement. When I pulled it out I couldn't believe my eyes.

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    Haha that's that Savannah River point that's big but crude (did I id it right?). It's 3.5" on the nose. I remember when I found that point, I found a musketball literally 5' away from it too! So of course I imagined an epic battle between Indians and settlers... of course now I know better! haha

Yeah, maybe I should appreciate what I already got more. There's a life lesson in there somewhere...
    Last edited by Coy; 04-30-2021, 05:25 PM.

• Coy
    replied
    I'm startin to feel like a whiner haha

I shoulds been more specific... most of the ones that I have around 2 or 3" are these lumpy, crude quartz points that are common around here, they don't really have shoulders or a nice base or fine workmanship or anything, they're just like someone had a pinky-finger sized piece of quartz and put an edge on it in about 5 minutes flat. Don't get me wrong it's always a jolt of dopamine to find anything at all, but they're... well they're crude and half the time they're this junky quartzite. I'd rather find a real artful 2" piece with color.

Like that 3.2" one middle of the top in that picture of mine Cecilia posted above (and thanks btw for reminding me I should count my blessings instead of carping! Guess sometimes we need to be reminded haha)

I guess I shouldn't carp, I got lots of places to look and find something more often than I don't, so I'm lucky for that.
    Last edited by Coy; 04-30-2021, 05:29 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    replied
    This was part of your second post, and guessing pretty big (no quarter):
    Click image for larger version

Name:	791A88E5-AEE3-4546-B67F-2E06776C5F06.jpeg
Views:	321
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	552150
    You ain’t got nuthin’ whine ‘bout, girl!!

Leave a comment:

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    That color and gradient is absolutely unreal! 😍

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    Great tip! I've got a lot of treeline at my disposal.

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    How'd you find those other pieces? Surface, digging, plowed fields...?

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    Oh wow, that first point!!! 😍😍😍😍

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    Well coy I have a few bigger than 3 inches but not many. I sure would of settled for a small anything today. Skunk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X