Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting real jealous of y'all's big beautiful pieces, I want some of my own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    Ugh, I haven't even gotten around yet to feeling jealous of those things! I'm still in the finding lumps of rock and imagining they're something stage when it comes to anything besides points haha. I haven't got any kind of eye for tools or game stones yet. But I feel like I'm over-ready to graduate to Big Boy points but I'm stuck in kindy!

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    I've never seen a piece like that.... is it a spear/atlatl point? It's gorgeous!

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    On edge like just the edge was visible, or all exposed but wedged between stuff?

Not that I'm trying to imply Maxine would expose herself in public haha 😉

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    I've got some like that.... 😝

• Coy
    replied
    Ugh y'all are KILLIN ME HERE! haha 😂😫😢😂😫😢😂😫😢😂

I'm loving seeing y'all's points (even if I'm practically on fire I'm burning so hard with envy). I'd love to also hear how/where you found your chokers. Are any of them surfaces finds?

About 8/10 the points I find are totally exposed. I do pry out promising looking stones if I see a bit exposed, but it seems like the points usually come all the way up or stay buried.

I guess most good stuff has maybe already been found in SC, since European folk settled here so long ago, but I'm curious is bigger pieces are less likely to be exposed, or less likely to migrate through the soil? I tried learning about soil hydrology (the flow of ground soil) but I couldn't make heads or tails of it even though I'm usually good with that sort of thing. Let alone applying the ideas to points and the geology of my area and where objects that old would end up (or maybe I'm trying to over think it and it's comes down to miles in the saddle and luck, or access to special locations).

One day I'll be posting on here and y'all will be like "wow, no one's ever found a 13,000 year old knapped long sword made of rainbow obsidian before!" haha But that might be a few years down the road for me yet..... 😂😂😂
    Last edited by Coy; 04-30-2021, 04:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Coy
    commented on 's reply
    Haha I guess I asked for it!

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    You know it does kinda resemble my Chicken Coop Knife’s big daddy!

• UpNorth
    commented on 's reply
    Holy moly..c.c.
    You need to train your chickens to dig deeper...🐓

• Cecilia
    replied
    WillJo sent me this big broke, and it was first big (-ger than a quarter) artifact ever held in my hands!

Click image for larger version  Name:	BED4B66B-CC22-4222-897E-6312F7A7714B.jpeg Views:	4 Size:	91.1 KB ID:	552046
    Last edited by Cecilia; 04-30-2021, 11:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mattern
    replied
    Hay there Coy. Plowed fields will only yield a few larger point because anything over 3 inches can get broken by the plow. Fields that have been hunted for decades have already been picked over and the Big Boys are in collections. My area lithics don't lend themselves to large preforms so there aren't that many points over 3 inches. Whenever anyone finds an area that hasn't ever been hunted, will find the big ones, and that doesn't happen very often. I hunt the tree lines between field and creek or river. Those areas never been plowed. You will find bigger points in those areas. My friends
    the Ground hogs also help me find some big ones. Pictured is a Ground hog find. You have to hunt outside the box!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3194[1].JPG
Views:	497
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	552032

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe, but you sure do collect (and read and share) some big winners Informative-and-Interesting-Articles!

• kayakaddict
    replied
    I get it. That's why I got into knapping. My largest projectile is just shy of 3" after almost 10 years hunting and
    anything larger I find is crude like a knife form, preform or blank. But there are other things to find. I found an axe once, a 16" bowl in 75 pieces, half a banner stone, so many pecking and hammer stones I often leave them, a clay pipe stem, and I don't feel jealous anymore. But I still dream of the Grand daddy. Now I don't knap much lol. It's. Just a marvelous thing to study and learn about, and learn from

Leave a comment:

• CMD
    replied
    I can count on one hand the number of points, over a mere 3 inches, that I have found in 60+ years.....

Leave a comment:

• antmike915
    commented on 's reply
    Now that's a knife 🔪

• antmike915
    replied
    I've found a good bit of my big points digging but have found a few in plowed fields (#1 digging, #2 construction site). You never know what can happen on a hunt.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by antmike915; 04-29-2021, 11:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X