Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting real jealous of y'all's big beautiful pieces, I want some of my own!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well coy I have a few bigger than 3 inches but not many. I sure would of settled for a small anything today. Skunk
    NW Georgia,

Comment

This was part of your second post, and guessing pretty big (no quarter):
      Click image for larger version

Name:	791A88E5-AEE3-4546-B67F-2E06776C5F06.jpeg
Views:	319
Size:	153.4 KB
ID:	552150
      You ain’t got nuthin’ whine ‘bout, girl!!
      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Coy
        Coy commented
        Editing a comment
        Haha that's that Savannah River point that's big but crude (did I id it right?). It's 3.5" on the nose. I remember when I found that point, I found a musketball literally 5' away from it too! So of course I imagined an epic battle between Indians and settlers... of course now I know better! haha

Yeah, maybe I should appreciate what I already got more. There's a life lesson in there somewhere...
        Last edited by Coy; 04-30-2021, 05:25 PM.

I'm startin to feel like a whiner haha

I shoulds been more specific... most of the ones that I have around 2 or 3" are these lumpy, crude quartz points that are common around here, they don't really have shoulders or a nice base or fine workmanship or anything, they're just like someone had a pinky-finger sized piece of quartz and put an edge on it in about 5 minutes flat. Don't get me wrong it's always a jolt of dopamine to find anything at all, but they're... well they're crude and half the time they're this junky quartzite. I'd rather find a real artful 2" piece with color.

Like that 3.2" one middle of the top in that picture of mine Cecilia posted above (and thanks btw for reminding me I should count my blessings instead of carping! Guess sometimes we need to be reminded haha)

I guess I shouldn't carp, I got lots of places to look and find something more often than I don't, so I'm lucky for that.
      Last edited by Coy; 04-30-2021, 05:29 PM.
      Central Iowa now, used to be in SC.

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Be glad not one of the guys, coz I have (lovingly) blasted them a time or two! I was rock collector who realized, way after found it, that my favorite milk white quartz kept in jewelry box was Bonham point, very, very, very old. I only find quartz (99%), and believe me, your lumpy dumpy pieces are beautiful!!
        Last edited by Cecilia; 04-30-2021, 07:22 PM.

• Mailman
        Mailman commented
        Editing a comment
        "dumpy lumpy" lmao

If it's any consolation, I feel your pain. Just my opinion, but I think you have to get below the Fall Line, or the Slate Belt, in SC to find colorful chert finds. Know some people who hunt Allendale, Barnwell, Walterboro, over towards Edisto and barrier islands and they have killer finds. River hunting in SC also can produce nice finds. I've read a book that states after the Archiac period, the NA migrated to coastal areas in SC following the waterways. But keep your eyes open because I have found a few chert finds and you really have to train your eyes not to always look for white (quartz) on the ground. I think the one exception to the Upstate vs. Low Country is York County. I've seen some killers from York County. Be grateful for those small quartz finds but I understand because in have flint envy😄
      South Carolina

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        Amen!....flint envy....yep!

• Coy
        Coy commented
        Editing a comment
        I think part of my problem is the white quartz they used stands out so much my eye's have probably gotten a bit lazy!

Probably my best “big” piece. 4+ inches. Bipointed leaf blade, Marblehead rhyolite.....

Name:	80507BBC-0238-43D2-BFC5-0AAA62E3E290.jpeg
Views:	247
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	552243

Name:	EA15C8C1-A387-4C3E-B687-468AD1681AA4.jpeg
Views:	236
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	552244

Name:	3128673F-E6A0-41CA-B76A-8FC8317AFA30.jpeg
Views:	235
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	552245

Rhode Island

Comment

• Cecilia
        Cecilia commented
        Editing a comment
        O, yeah! No shoulders, no ears, no waist, made outta rhyolite to boot! And what an Absolute Beauty !

Well i guess ill throw a couple in as well! Just a couple though……dont show all your cards at once they say! The last pic, as some of you may already know, i found last week and was first spear of the year.
      Attached Files

Comment

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Here tbey come…. The other two. Purplish one id say Gary but unsure on the bulbous based one. And i did mention these were all AR site finds. But of course there was no TX-AR back then so same region.

Big ol pogo. I have a big one that was once a Clovis. A few thousand years later some fellow found it and decided it would make a really nice Pogo.
      Last edited by Garguy; 12-07-2021, 11:38 AM.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats wild! They had to use what they had available and easy access to though. But very interesting! I like anything repurposed. Among my favorite things to find

Yea ill accept Pogo any day! I have 3 large points GarG that all come from AR and different sites but im unsure as to what theyd be classified as. One i kind of lean towards Gary on but the other has a bulbous base and im unsure about it. The third of these is in my last post/reply, the second picture. What would you call that one? And ill send pics of other two if youd mind looking at them and seeing what you think. I can PM them to you or post on here if thats ok 🤷🏻‍♂️ Still learning

Comment

Looks like a big ol Gary knife. Sweet. I'll give my best educated guess on any east tx item you post.

Comment

• PaleoSnow
          PaleoSnow commented
          Editing a comment
          Here tbey come…. The other two. Purplish one id say Gary but unsure on the bulbous based one. And i did mention these were all AR site finds. But of course there was no TX-AR back then so same region.

Sorry i commented that to the original posting

What do you think?
        Attached Files

Comment

I don't know what to call the first one. Second is a gary knife

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes ill agree on that. Beautiful material too. Thanks for looking and letting me know what u think. I was unsure of the one i posted earlier bc the base isnt very prominent but figured it was a Gary variant of some kind. Speaking of ETX artifacts tho, id have to say my best from there is my avatar pic. Its a beautiful, super thin, olive Scottsbluff i found about 15 years or so ago. I have tons of field grade commons from that area but not just a whole lot of really nice pieces. Well actually i have many nice ones from there i guess, just nothing like the amount and quality of my AR collection. I think ive only got one display case full of ETX. And idk how many AR ones. I know ive bought a dozen good cases and few cheap ones this year alone and are all filled. I just dont spend the time down there anymore like when i lived there. But ill go from time to time. Great area though!

The paleo in East Texas is always high quality material . Archaic...not so much. I have several dozen frames of killer paleo. Boxes of Archaic.lol

Comment

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            Several dozen frames! Wow. I hope to see them some day! I saw one of your birdie frames on an old thread and i commented on it. Amazing! Everything ive seen of yours has been great. Thanks for sharing what you do.

I’am out . Biggest I ever find is 3 “

Comment

Good looking points!!!!! Don't give up. I'm new here and i'm a creek walker from southern ind, but the creek i walk in is in southern ill on my b-in-laws farm.
            It's huge and prolific. I guess i'll have to get my big bucket list gun out and show what i found this past june. Never thought i'd ever find one.!! Clovis point / over 3 1/2 inches long and perfect. I about fell over when i found it. Absolutely zero damage, i think it could be from a cache....hope so i'm going over wed
            after all this rain. Stay lookin

Comment

This thing would definitely be a winner of the month...

Comment

Working...
              X