Wisconsin!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wisconsin!

I started looking for artifacts about this time last year and, after at LEAST forty hours wandering fields, rivers, cliffs, etc., I have found only one broken spear(?) point and a possible core fragment.

Specifically, I am in southeast Wisconsin. Not Milwaukee county.

At this point I feel like I am having incredibly bad luck or I am doing something wrong so I'd like to ask for some advice. My general approach is to find a crop field by a river and then walk along the rows turning over anything that looks thin, flaked, an unusual color, etc. Not too much luck. So I am curious as to what other fellow wisconsinites approaches to looking are. Perhaps I am missing something obvious.

The rivers around me are quite brown but I've read nearly every advice post on the forum so far and the general consensus is to find gravel bars and eye them over carefully. Don't know if there's anything more to add with rivers but I'm open to anything.

Lastly there are a lot of mentions of digging. You guys just find a nice overlook or cliff and throw in your shovel? Seems worse than needle in a haystack but I'm the one with two pieces so there's definitely something i'm missing there

If there's anything Wisconsin specific I'd love to read it. I've been researching local history, asking local farmers/historical groups, poring over google maps and walking miles of rivers to no avail. Not quite discouraged yet but I'm getting there haha.

That’s pretty Norma..it takes a lota lota hours to find a productive site if someone doesn’t show you one..Once you find it the points will come....
    Floridaboy.

Comment

What Hal said, don't give up. Just keep searching. Keep searching those fields (with permission of course). I've had luck in fields close to rivers, creeks and streams but I've also had luck in fields not even close to bodies of water.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Wondering if creeks are worth it in Wisconsin. Wandering in a stream is a nice change from keeping my eyes glued to the ground on corn residue and mud.

Most people use one sifter or multiple? Curious as to what the common setups are.

Comment

• antmike915
          antmike915 commented
          Editing a comment
          If the creeks have gravel bars it definitely wouldn't hurt to look.

Branch out in every direction. Yesterday I drove 80 minutes, kayaked 30 more against the wind, probed the mud for 2 hours in a biting- gnat swarm, and only found a small core (pretty sure). Then went home same distance. (But the spot has yielded great things in the past). And I'll do it again!!! So like was said already, don't give up yet. Branch out to anywhere new.
        Last edited by kayakaddict; 05-13-2021, 07:23 AM.
        New Jersey

Comment

• KingCornchip
          KingCornchip commented
          Editing a comment
          That's the plan. I need to get myself a kayak as well....

Really hard to find gravel bars on google maps in my area. Likewise my local terrain is rather marshy.

Get one if you can. Fish between spots! There are many kinds of kayaks you probably already know. . I like a flat bottom, I can practically stand up in it. Stable when there are swells . V shape is faster on open water. Short sturdy type for rapids. Good luck
        New Jersey

Comment

Working...
        X