Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Creek Hunting - Any advice would be appreciated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creek Hunting - Any advice would be appreciated!

So there is a creek in between two fields that I hunt for arrowheads in southeast Indiana. I have found many artifacts in both fields (more in one than the other, but that is besides the point). I have found a scraper in this creek before, but I have not found anything else. I am not sure if I am looking in the right places. I'm kind of looking for shape versus color because almost everything is covered in mud or under water. I have included a few pictures below. Does this creek look promising? Based on the pictures below, where would you look specifically? Any other tips?

Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b98a.jpg Views:	0 Size:	326.8 KB ID:	558645

In the photo above, I find more artifacts in the field to the left of the creek (can't see it in the picture) than the one to the right of the creek.

Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b992.jpg Views:	0 Size:	323.5 KB ID:	558646
    Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b98f.jpg Views:	0 Size:	150.8 KB ID:	558647

The picture below is taken on the side of the bank/wall that goes along the creek. There are tons of fossils (corals/brachiocephalopods) like the one in the picture below:

Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b991.jpg Views:	0 Size:	428.1 KB ID:	558648

Here is a picture of the rocks that are on the bank next to the creek:

Click image for larger version  Name:	UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_1b993.jpg Views:	0 Size:	204.6 KB ID:	558649

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by TexRubly; 05-27-2021, 03:28 PM.

That looks VERY promising. I would, absolutely, check that out. As for "where", well.... who knows. Some creeks I find more on the gravel bars. Some, I do better in the bottom, near the clay. Others, I might find stuff sticking out of the banks. It's really random. At least, in my experience. But I hunt creeks, a good bit. I know that's not what you wanna hear. But, at this point, you'll just have to put boots on the ground and spend some hours. GOOD LUCK!!
    Western Kentucky

Comment

Do you have gators? I know some of Texas does. What does it look like right after the big washout bank? If there is another gravel bar after that it might be really good but the gravel bar you have pictured looks really good. I’d be on it all day. I love creek hunting.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
        SurfaceHunter commented
        Editing a comment
        Your nam has Tex the in it

• TexRubly
        TexRubly commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah - the name is a bit misleading

• PaleoSnow
        PaleoSnow commented
        Editing a comment
        Gators are a nuisance where i live in AR. I used to worry about snakes when i lived in TX but now i worry more about the ones that will eat you. Found myself in some really sketchy gator infested places many times. Just a hazard of the hobby for my area, but i deal with it. They have a season here and issue just a few permits but they need to issue more. Theyre everywhere here and i guess itll take a few people getting eaten or mauled before they take action.

Depending on how hard the flow is on high but you can usually find pottery and flakes higher if you find that you are in the right area. After you find flakes then start towards the lower water area the points will be close to the channel section. The hard stone and heavy stuff will be either in the channels or on the front of the bars. Good luck
      NW Georgia,

Comment

You have to walk it, walk it, and walk it some more. Creeks are so frustrating for me but they occasionally hand me my best pieces. Keep checking the gravel bars and high on the bank walls. Once the algae gets going its hard to see anything in the water over here in Ohio. Eventually, you will find the hot spots and know where to focus. I go back after every weather event.
        Good luck and be patient, fldwlkr
        Headwaters of the Little Miami, Ohio

Comment

• TexRubly
          TexRubly commented
          Editing a comment
          I figured it was just going to take time and experience. Its frustrating though - lots of things have that arrowhead shape in the water but when you pull it out, it is nothing. The algae and the mud do make it tough.

• Mailman
          Mailman commented
          Editing a comment
          I tell folks, if you aren't getting tricked by triangle rocks, glass, leaves and bark.....you're probably missing points. Don't let that discourage you.

That, or, you're way better than me.

I appreciate all of the replies - thank you! I wish I can get back on the hunt right now...

Comment

Sorry to tag in here but do you all find stuff IN the water?

Comment

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            The channel changes as the water level drops. You can find something in each level if there is any there. I went today and found one piece of the pottery nothing else but broken pieces. Some days are good some days aren’t

• Mailman
            Mailman commented
            Editing a comment
            I do, yes. Half of my creek finds are submerged. When looking IN the water, I have to go SLOW SLOW SLOW. Easy to miss one. And, as mentioned, algae can shut ya down.

• KingCornchip
            KingCornchip commented
            Editing a comment
            Good to know. Where I live the rivers are rather muddy with submerged gravel banks occasionally. I was worried I was wasting my time by looking in those. Been searching for months since the snow melted and I've found nothing. Found some old maps of native settlements from the 1840s so I'll try my luck there.
        Working...
        X