Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattern
    replied
    Tooo bad Jake. I sure was hoping you could get it out. I know you will keep an eye on that spot from now on. Kim

Leave a comment:

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    I think it was being carved into shape but never taken out might of been a large soapstone they were working on

Leave a comment:

• Missouri Jake
    replied
    Update: My area has been pounded by rain and storms to the point I couldn't get out on river. Well, finally got there a couple days ago. The spot that photo was taken ...lol it's not even there anymore. The river recoursed and the barr it was on is flattened 6-7 feet below were it was. A mystery it stays. Very sad.

Leave a comment:

• Tam
    replied
    Look how they chipped away at that around the corners.
    You have to get the mother rock it’s just to cool .

Leave a comment:

• Tam
    replied
    That’s touchy. I think a knapper might know .
    I think a if it’s on a giant mother stone just leave it .
    But I know someone will take it .
    I just wrote a big story how to get it out with chisel . Erased
    I fear it’s going to break .

Leave a comment:

• Mailman
    replied
    I think the fact its fused to the other rock makes it wayyyyy cooler. I'd try to get it home "as is".

Let us know how it turns out!

Leave a comment:

• Mattern
    replied
    Well I'll weigh in. As a stone mason myself I would take a rock hammer a plastic wedge and a small digging tool. From the picture the left side looks like loose material. Dig that side out and try to get under it as far as you can to give yourself prying room. Drive the wedge in under the material ( NOT THE ARTIFACT ) And loosen everything under the disk. Put your plastic wedge under the disk and do a little prying to loosen up more material. Take your time, don't rush. If it doesn't loosen up stop. Now there is another trick you can try. Buy or borrow a Automobile pump up door wedge. These are for unlocking locked car doors. Most police and fire companies have them. Place it under the disk after removing material as I explained above and slowly pump the thing up, It should pop right out. Kim

Leave a comment:

• Cecilia
    commented on 's reply
    You’re just tired Gregsz from 3.5 weeks road tripping + petroglyphs ! I vote with all who wanna see upclose!
    Last edited by Cecilia; 06-08-2021, 02:19 PM.

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    Looks like a small milling stone like Tom suggested which could be old but not native old

Leave a comment:

• Narrow Way Knapper
    replied
    Maybe a wood or plastic wedge could help you detach it? Certainly looks man made.

Leave a comment:

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    Retrieve it and we will know

Leave a comment:

• Missouri Jake
    replied
    Well. What do you all think?
    Right size, shape and local. Very weathered however, thinking why the hole is filled?

Leave a comment:

• Missouri Jake
    replied
    CHUNKEY STONES

Chunky or Chunkey, chenco, tchung-kee or the hoop and stick game, is a game of Native American origin. Chunkey was played between two opponents, one rolling a stone disc across the ground and the other throwing a spear in an attempt to place the spear as close to the stopped stone as possible. The game would often continue until both players were exhausted. The game originated about 600 CE in the Cahokia region that is now near St. Louis, Missouri. It continued to be played throughout North America in one form or another long after the decline of the Mississippian period about 1500 CE. Early ethnographer James Adair translated the name to mean "running hard labor." The intention of the games seemed to be the gathering of large groups of neighboring villages and even visitors. Gambling was frequently connected to the game, with some players wagering everything they owned on the outcome of the game. Losers were even known to commit suicide.

Leave a comment:

• tomclark
    replied
    historic grindstone preform??? wth?? Wish I could see that thang.

Leave a comment:

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    I carry a screwdriver in my front pocket for the hard to remove objects. Just don’t pry against it go around it. Don’t carry it in your back pocket cause one time I forgot and sat in my truck and it ripped a big hole. My old truck

Leave a comment:

Working...
X