Hunting old swamps, NE Ohio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hunting old swamps, NE Ohio

I've only successfully hunted on land thus far, but I have an observation and I'd appreciate your thoughts. Lots of people suggest looking for sites near creeks and other water sources. In my area, most of the fields I'm checking aren't by water, but we have two types of soil -- sandy, upland soil and black low ground. I assume the black soil was marsh or swamp land. Most of the worksites I find are on sandy soil close to the low black ground -- usually not more than 50 yards away.

A few assumptions:

1. Maybe the marshy ground held more game to hunt?
    2. These sites (nearby sandy ground) usually have a ton of flakes, but not many points. So they were making tools there, but not using them to hunt. Maybe campsites?
    3. From what I've read about local history, our area had few permanent settlements, but contained several major trails and was a seasonal hunting ground.

Questions
    1. I almost never find points in the black ground, but when I do, they tend to be complete more often. Maybe the swamps were impassable, but wounded animals would die there?
    2. Why camp so close to a mosquito infested muck? I haven't found many worksites in sandy ground away from the swamps, but I do find points, so I assume they hunted the uplands too.
    3. Does anyone else have observations to add?

​​​

Swamps in FL hold points on almost every elevated spot within them. Big and some seemingly insignificant smaller spots... Elevated spots were and still are prime hunting spot for waiting for and killing game. I've found more whole lost hunting points in those places and in ravines.
    Professor Shellman
    Tampa Bay

Comment

Swamps had lots of nesting places, so hunting them was to get eggs. Turtle, ducks & other water fowl, and an assortment of animals that were easy to trap and catch by hand in some cases. So they didn't need Projectiles to get food. Though they did carry bows and spears along just in case. Natives coated their skin with mud from the swamp. Because it smelled like swamp and Mosquitos didn't really smell their body odors very well as the mud masked it.. I hope this answers a couple questions. Kim
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Yes to all of the above.

One other factor with black dirt/marsh sites, is things can be shockingly deep. I used to hunt a sod farm, and over the years they had removed over 10 feet of material, and we were only finding archaic points. No clue how deep older stuff was, but more than 10 feet down from the original drained swamp farmland ground level. (My area was an entire wooded swamp that was drained, timbered and settled.)
        Hong Kong, but from Indiana/Florida

Comment

That old swamp may have been a glacial lake then a pond...is there an outlet? If so always good to look there
          Location - Eastern Massachu

Comment

Working...
          X