Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Longtime reader, first time poster with questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Longtime reader, first time poster with questions.

Howdy,

I’ve perused the site for a while now gleaning information on how and where to search for arrowheads and other artifacts. However, this knowledge has not translated into finding anything...ever...

I’m 38 and have been playing, hiking and hunting in the woods in central Texas my entire life. Many hours have been spent searching over the years with zilch to show for it. I’m sure I’ve overlooked and overstepped thousands of items over that time for one reason or another.

Lately, I’ve become even more determined to find items for some reason. These days most of my hunting, both arrowhead and deer takes place on a family ranch just west of Rocksprings, TX off of HWY 377. We’ve got about 1,500acres with 2 significant dry creek beds which only flow in heavy rains, 99.9% of the year they are dry, dusty rocky wastelands. On one corner of our property, what is labeled on maps as the “West Fork” of the Nueces River cuts through for about a quarter mile span, although I’ve seen water in it exactly 1 time which was during the Memorial Day floods in 2015. The “River” does make a bend over this space with the outside bank being a cliff of about 15-20’ high. I’ve searched all along the top of this cliff to no avail which I think is because there really isn’t a flat spot on top of the cliff either. It immediately continues sloping up hill from there. Other than these features all we seem to have are hills, rocks and more rocks. There is not much soil to speak of and because of this my searching has been restricted to waking the dry creek beds and sifting through gravel bars.

My question is, other than continuing to do what I’ve been doing, are there any other tips that might be valuable in that part of the country? Also, anyone else hunt in that area and have any success stories or info?

I know it’s changed over time but it’s such an inhospitable place now that I can’t imagine it being a suitable home for anyone.

Sorry for the long post, but really value y’all’s knowledge and look forward and appreciate any insight y’all can share!

Maybe share some pictures of your dry creek bed. If it’s a man made waterway it might not hold any artifacts. I’ve walked creeks that were man made or altered by modern man and didn’t even find a chip. Go a quarter of a mile away to a natural creek and find plenty.
    NW Georgia,

Comment

Here are a few pics I was able pull off of Google Earth as well as the real estate listing. I’m heading out there this weekend and will grab some more pics then.

Comment

This area marked in blue is where I would concentrate my efforts, as well as anything in the stream bed at all…

looks like a natural, ancient waterway to me.
        Wandering wherever I can, mostly in Eastern Arkansas, always looking down.

Comment

Being very familiar with your area, I can tell you it is one of the most productive artifact places in America. 7000 years ago it was a moist and grassy land with rich soil. Those dry stream beds were good water sources. My advice would be , go look at the land pretend you are building a permanent camp and planning to carry water from the stream. Where would you build it? Thats the place to start .

Comment

• Jethro355
            Jethro355 commented
            Editing a comment
            That’s about as solid as advice gets.

• SurfaceHunter
            SurfaceHunter commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you go by another handle like GarScale?

• Cecilia
            Cecilia commented
            Editing a comment
            Us pretenders can see so very much!

You’re also in fossil country. Hard to calibrate your eyes to hunt both though. A friend of mine hunted in similar topography. He borrowed a point from a friend and wandered down to his dry stream bed. Laid the point among the rocks and practiced distinguishing between a worked piece placed among unwired rocks. Within a week or two he found his first point.
          Child of the tides

Comment

Yes I was on here as garscale for a while login quit working and I gave up on this place.

Comment

• gregszybala
              gregszybala commented
              Editing a comment
              Glad your back

• hudson
              hudson commented
              Editing a comment
              Garguy man I"m glad your back. Show us some of the stuff youve been finding.

Aw Hudson.... it would just get jealousy all riled up...

Comment

• hudson
              hudson commented
              Editing a comment
              That"s alright I can handle it lol

Originally posted by Garguy View Post
            Aw Hudson.... it would just get jealousy all riled up...
            Nahh we are all starving for some of those fresh dug ones.!nothing like Texas when it comes to material and craftsmanship. I remember you used to find some killer pieces
            NW Georgia,

Comment

I may post a few along. I have had crazy success since I was last able to post here. My euipment is much improved as well. We had a few 1000 point days along the way.

Comment

Working...
              X