Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• clovisoid
    replied
    Yup, like Tom mentioned the edges, water line, and water areas around sand bars can be good. You might have a good old rocky patch underwater upstream of the sand bar, or occasionally channels carve out downstream of them.

Unless you have some really dynamic flooding that is actively eroding stuff from the banks and dropping it on a sand bar (think steep walls that are collapsing in on the river), I've rarely found anything old on a sand bar. Sifted/grubbed lots of stuff out of the edges.

Leave a comment:

• tomclark
    commented on 's reply
    YEP! Sandbars here often have rock bars below them and I have worked the edges of sand/rock..underwater..

• Kentucky point
    replied
    If you get a big flood, go back and check on the sand bars. They might be rock bars then.

Leave a comment:

• SurfaceHunter
    replied
    Rock bars the artifacts will normally sink under the sand you might find pottery and flakes really not sure I bypass all sand

Leave a comment:

• Hal Gorges
    replied
    Look where you find the most flint flakes, even if it’s on the highway.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Bojangles
    started a topic Sandbar vs Rockbar

Sandbar vs Rockbar

Where I'm at it's sometimes hard to find good rockbars on the river. They are mostly sandbars. I feel more confident when looking on a rock bar than a sandbar. I feel like if there's an artifact on a sandbar it's probably covered by sand. Should I look for a better location with gravel bars or do sandbars actually produce?
Working...
X