Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many points can one location produce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many points can one location produce?

How many points can one location produce? This is my first year arrowhead hunting. I have a great mentor. I actually met him while walking a field. That field turned out to be my best field. I got to walk that field for about 4 weeks til it was all grown up with weeds and corn. I found 43 points in about 15 acres of field. The guy I met there found 31 there this year. He didn't walk much this year because of an ankle injury. He said another guy walks it too, and he found about 10. The guy I met said that he has been walking it since 2016 and has found over 300 points from that field. I'm sure people have been walking this field for a long time. We have late paleo lanceolate pieces from there, many points that date through the early, mid, and late archaic period, and also late woodland triangle points. I have a good collection of missisipian pottery from there as well. How many more points can possibly be there?

I have seen fields that have been walked out, no points just flint chips and fields that produced an almost unlimited amount of artifacts. some fields have been farmed and hunted a long time and yours may be a new field that will produce for a long time
    South East Ga. Twin City

Comment

I have permission for quite a few some have good finds others only a few. But with notil in full effect now even a turned field won’t have much to find. I walked one today fresh harvest had big rain on it and only found one Adena knife that was so badly broken I couldn’t even save it. When they turned it before no til I used to find many.
      NW Georgia,

Comment

Each site of course is different..That’s just plain cruel, tellin me about all them pointy things and not posting any photos,Lol.
        Floridaboy.

Comment

I bought a site in east tx and excacated a little less than 2 acres. It produced over 30,000 points. Crazy bunch of other odds and ends as well.

Comment

• LongStride
            LongStride commented
            Editing a comment
            30,000? Wow!

• Benji
            Benji commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow!

• PaleoSnow
            PaleoSnow commented
            Editing a comment
            So it seems we are from the same neck of the woods. I live in AR now but was actually raised in East TX. and visit there regularly. But wow 30,000 thats unreal! I just thought i had alot of artifacts! Thats awesome Gary!

This thread needs pictures!!!

Comment

Originally posted by garguy View Post
            i bought a site in east tx and excacated a little less than 2 acres. It produced over 30,000 points. Crazy bunch of other odds and ends as well.
            wow!

Comment

These are what I found from the field that I mentioned. I had the points labeled to show somebody recently and haven't taken the sticky notes off yet. Lots of other flakes, scrapers, hammerstones, pottery, and midden type stuff. Thats a piece of a bone carved fish hook in the midden case. The field runs across a ridgetop, less than a mile from a major river. Western PA

Comment

Lots of pottery I see
                NW Georgia,

Comment

We used to hunt a RI field that attracted collectors from all over southern New England. It was not unusual for the Mrs. and I to find a half dozen or more points on each visit. We hunted it a lot in the 90’s. But we were late comers. That same field in the 1940’s and 50’s spit out 50+ complete points for the old timers who walked it. Our mentor, who showed us many fields in the 90’s, said it was easy to collect 50 or more each hunt. Another put it this way: “in the old days we collected points, now we hunt for them”. That field still gives up points, amazingly if you ask me, but not like the “good ole days”…..
                  Rhode Island

Comment

If your hunting grounds check all the boxes as a good seasonal campsite chances are it was used for an untold number of year. Maybe even thousands of years. Imagine a small family group making tools and points as needed season after season and the numbers can be staggering even in a very small area. Keep on the hunt. There’s still plenty of the good stuff out there.
                    Uncle Trav- Southwest Michigan

Comment

Hunting farm land is literally just scratching the surface.

Comment

considering that some stuff could be 6+ ft deep in context. never !!! I hunt fields that the old timers said were hunted out and still find points all the time !
                        New Jersey

Comment

• Uncle Trav
                          Uncle Trav commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Exactly right. I had a buddy who metal detected a plantation site on the coast of Virginia. He was told “go ahead but it’s been hunted out years ago”. He found a Spanish colonial gold coin in under an hour.

yup ya just have to get out their !!!
                        New Jersey

Comment

Hay Roger, those Artifacts look mighty familiar. Kim from central Pa. Nice year.
                          Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Working...
                          X