Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many points can one location produce?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mattern View Post
    Hay Roger, those Artifacts look mighty familiar. Kim from central Pa. Nice year.
    All Western PA finds. Some of the point types cross over into central PA so I'm sure we find a lot of the same things.

Comment

By the look at what your finding I know we are finding the same types. Where do you live? K
      Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

I hunt westmoreland, fayette, and somerset counties

Comment

Tilly's Hill in N. California is 2 1/2 acres has given me a few thousand points and my hunting partner the same and it's not finished .

Comment

Originally posted by south fork View Post
            Tilly's Hill in N. California is 2 1/2 acres has given me a few thousand points and my hunting partner the same and it's not finished .
            How many points per year? How many points per hour? Just trying to get an idea of artifact density when surface hunting.

Comment

Well, some locations can produce absolutely 0 artifacts consistently!

Comment

• DarioA7
                DarioA7 commented
                Editing a comment
                somebody can relate to that.😂
                Last edited by DarioA7; 09-20-2021, 07:20 PM. Reason: like me

Originally posted by RegerE View Post

How many points per year? How many points per hour? Just trying to get an idea of artifact density when surface hunting.
              It's all relative,
              Has the location ever been inhabited? How long inhabited by how many? Has the area been hunted for years upon years? Has the course of the river or creek changed allowing for more or less to be found? Has the area ever been hunted, farmed, plowed, not plowed, dug not dug?
              Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I hunt an area here in southern indiana, that i honestly believe will never be hunted out, generations before me have all made their names as artifact hunters basically from this one certain drain basin that encompasses several square miles along the east fork of the white river, countless points have came from this area...i have also read geological surveys from my area stating that certain locations contain several thousand artifacts estimated per acre...per acre!.....some sites must have been used by many generations for a very long time,it is on these kinds of sites that i believe will never be hunted out not during our lifetime anyway...🙂
                Last edited by Talkingpoints; 09-19-2021, 02:01 PM.
                JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Comment

• Flint Eastwood
                  Flint Eastwood commented
                  Editing a comment
                  My friend, such words keep me so optimistic…particularly in a world we are told the old timers got all the good stuff!
                  My son has found dozens of points in the last 4 years that are better than anything my grandpa or father has unearthed.
                  Flint Eastwood

• Talkingpoints
                  Talkingpoints commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Its surprising, but not ,all at the same time to hear you say the finds keep getting better, i totally agree and have had that very thought myself, constantly i read, and in reputable publications, that there is nothing left, all the "good" stuff has been collected, , my left foot it has!...i say the majority has yet to be discovered!....why, pray tell, would the archaeological society ever believe, at least in theory, that , for example , there existed but one cahokia?...way to much that we dont know or understand about those whos relics we long to find, to ever start thinking we have done found it all, just my opinion of course, and thats just on the scale of a cahokia or an angel mounds i can only imagine the smaller camps, and settlements out there completely untouched by modern man, just waiting for you or myself to stumble upon so that finally their stories can be told.....happy hunting friend....🙂

• Garguy
                  Garguy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I know of sites that have millions of artifacts per acre. Thousands of actual points per acre is the norm on long term occupation sites.
              Working...
              X