Dirt Sifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dirt Sifting

Does anybody here dry-sift dirt with good results? I've heard that with the silty and sometimes sandy dirt in my area (Northern Indiana) it works quite well to find some points.
    If so, does anybody know any good brands? (or way to make one).

Thank you.

Who did you hear this from? How are you getting the dirt to the sifter? It’s against the law to dig in Indiana. Surface finds only on private property with permission.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

I thought that rule only applied to burial grounds, etc.

Comment

nope

Read through some of this:

Last edited by gregszybala; 09-24-2021, 03:09 PM.

Comment

• Cecilia
          Cecilia commented
          Editing a comment
          I just read this. See applies private property too. Hmm, surely that’s not as far-reaching as it sounds…

do you know about michigan?

Comment

Like most of the country, State and Federal lands are off limits. When it comes to private property with permission only but outside of that it all gets vague. I don't know if that means there are no laws more specific than mentioned. When in Michigan I do like Indiana, I just walk the fields.

Comment

got it

Comment

I'm in Texas but I screen thousands of yards of dirt per year. I'm using a large power screen and digging with a skid steer. Perfectly legal here on private properly. You would be astounded at what lies a few feet deep below the plow line.

Small scale hand screens are productive in good sites but a strong shovel hand is critical.
              Last edited by Garguy; 09-25-2021, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Amen

I do quite a bit of digging and sifting here in New Jersey. I’ve made several of my own manual labor sifter/screeners. Here’s one of them, it’s pretty crude but easy to build and quite effective.
              Warren County New Jersey

Comment

• DarioA7
                DarioA7 commented
                Editing a comment
                nice

• Cecilia
                Cecilia commented
                Editing a comment
                Bird, you thot bout painting Miami blue, then changed mind halfway?

I just need to weigh in. I am opposed to digging that isn't done in a professional way. An excavation is the destruction of history and Archaeological evidence. Unless done the right way diggers rob everyone else of the educational values of an areas Archaeological record. When done right all the information is saved in the notes, pictures, drawings and measurements taken by the excavator. However in the case of an emergency, (saving a site from the bulldozer or other equipment's destruction), I vote do anything and everything one can do to save everything one can. I have hunted 63 years and have amassed a very large collection, 99% surface finds!. Kim
              Knowledge is about how and where to find more Knowledge. Snyder County Pa.

Comment

Originally posted by HBird View Post
                I do quite a bit of digging and sifting here in New Jersey. I’ve made several of my own manual labor sifter/screeners. Here’s one of them, it’s pretty crude but easy to build and quite effective.
                I can help you improve that drastically. Put a trampoline style spring in all four of those eye bolts. Stretch as tight as possible so the springs hold it level . It will take almost no effort to screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Garguy View Post

I can help you improve that drastically. Put a trampoline style spring in all four of those eye bolts. Stretch as tight as possible so the springs hold it level . It will take almost no effort to screen.
                  Mine is made from a spring operated rocking horse, I made a screen to fit where the horse was , small but super portable, has a rocking action when you throw a shovel of dirt in it, I'm a very careful excavator, very thin layers removed at a time noting the difference in the material in the strata layer, never dig up any grave no matter what, bad juju for people like me
                  2ET703 South Central Texas

Comment

Originally posted by LongStride View Post

Mine is made from a spring operated rocking horse, I made a screen to fit where the horse was , small but super portable, has a rocking action when you throw a shovel of dirt in it, I'm a very careful excavator, very thin layers removed at a time noting the difference in the material in the strata layer, never dig up any grave no matter what, bad juju for people like me
                    Yes sir. I used rocking horses frames 40 years ago. I put that idea out on arrowheadology and several folks started doing it. If you can get the springs tight enough it works great.
                    Last edited by Garguy; 09-29-2021, 06:32 AM.

Comment

I’ve been picking up interesting stuff offa ground since toddler, but gotta say digging tops. It’s truely therapy; kids usta say “Mom’s going her zen place…”
                      Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• HBird
                        HBird commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I know exactly what you mean, that’s why a lot of my posts are titled today’s after work finds. It’s relaxing to me and a great way to unwind the mind after a hectic day at work
                    Working...
                    X