played out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• played out

Guess my lake site is played out due to a few factors. Private land and cant dig. Never have though, But would here. No more plowing down by the lake so everything is growing over. Just left with a small strip from grass to water. Only thing Ive found last few trips is small 1"-2" pottery shards. Guess Im done until something else comes along

Chin up.. you’ll find another..You’re livin in the promised land..The next subdivision is just around the corner..Speaking of corners.That large tract of land at US19and the Anclote river is fixin to be a Walmart, I think..I found several points there years ago..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Keep looking
      South Dakota

Comment

Originally posted by Hal Gorges View Post
        Chin up.. you’ll find another..You’re livin in the promised land..The next subdivision is just around the corner..Speaking of corners.That large tract of land at US19and the Anclote river is fixin to be a Walmart, I think..I found several points there years ago..
        WOW, thats a long way away. Im between Ocala and Gainesville on hwy 301

Comment

• antmike915
          antmike915 commented
          Editing a comment
          Should have no problem finding areas where your at, lots of areas along hwy 301.

• Hal Gorges
          Hal Gorges commented
          Editing a comment
          I got you confused with another fla collector.sorry hillbilly.

• tomclark
          tomclark commented
          Editing a comment
          That is the Promised Land! SO MANY SITES. So many more to find if you are lucky enough to live there.

Will be working on it. Problem is most around here wont let you on there property. They have been burned in the past by others looking for artifacts and dug there place up and left open holes everywhere. One guy told me he let a boy scout troop on his property to look for points. They camped the weekend out there and on Sunday when he went out to check on them it looked like a bombing mission with holes all over. Big holes 4-5ft deep and just as wide

Comment

• Mattern
          Mattern commented
          Editing a comment
          I gotta tell ya this kind of thing hurts all of us. Thanks for the insight Hillbilly. Most here know I have a very big collection, 99% surface found. It has to do with perseverance. I don't have to dig to find artifacts!!!. Kim

Took roughly 30 years for the sites the Mrs. and I hunt to play out. Went from an average of 125 complete points per year( probably a weekly total in some parts of the country), when I was working five days a week, to about 5-10 points per year now, while I’m retired. We put a lot of pressure on our sites, so the blame lies with us, and they are not making points anymore. It’s a non renewable resource.
        Rhode Island

Comment

Just need a good rain to fill that lake up . It will happen . Those waves lap the shore like a sifter .

Comment

• Fla.Hillbilly
            Fla.Hillbilly commented
            Editing a comment
            To much water as it is. No shore line. All the way up and into the grass

A few fields I hunted as a young man now have trees all over them 1 ft in diameter !!! I found 28 points in one day in one of them fields they quit farming them and that was all she wrote ! I feal your pain 😆 I get attached to places and feal like I'm going to see and old friend returning to them sometimes .!
          New Jersey

Comment

• HBird
            HBird commented
            Editing a comment
            Get your tools out and start digging around those trees

Think Im gonna take a ride over and see if I can find out who owns the old peach grove site. Never know all they can do is tell me to pound sand

Comment

I feel weird going to My old spots still. Last one I went to is an old farmer/neighbor. Healthy looking and looks same as 20 years ago to me anyway. Hadn't seen him during the pandemic craze but being vaccinated I thought what the heck go see my old acquaintance. He showed me a couple finds over the last year or 2. 1 being a wicked afton looking point but didn't want to weird him out with photos. Got another spot though that a strange hunter tries to claim over property Owner and another with a mean wolfhound that belongs to his neighbor but I dont want to cause harm to someone's pet. I think I got burnout maybe though lol.
            http://joshinmo.weebly.com

Comment

Working...
            X