Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Writers block!....or the equalivant thereof.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Writers block!....or the equalivant thereof.....

With the spring of 2021 being my very first ever "season" for hunting artifacts, i feel like ive done ok, what started as a facination with my buddy's enormous, all locally found arrowhead collection has turned into a bit of a passion for me i have to admit, but it would seem now as the most favorable conditions are fading away from my usual hunting grounds i have came to a complete standstill with regards to expanding my collection, and i dont like it!...lol... The lower bottom land of the white river drain basin here in southern indiana, is where i was first introduced to the hobby and educated on the whys, whats, and wheres of this particular type of indigenous river culture, the mound builders no less, all lived and thrived right here in my backyard and once shown, i now see the evidence everywhere, everywhere in the lower bottoms that is, which all happens to be heavily farmed, and as we all know, the farming is done for this particular growing season, so there is very little change if any to the area....and this is where the writers block analogy might start to make sense....simply put.....i dont know where else to hunt!....im out of ideas, no doubt due to my lack of education on the subject,or subjects..but nonetheless, im stumped!,...all of the available geographical surveys that i can find with any regard to archaeological findings have been carried out in the low lands which i happen to already be somewhat familiar with....could maybe use some advice on finding potential high ground camps and their possible relationship to the lower ground sites so as to form a basic perspective on seasonal habits, their moving from camp to camp and why, etc....thank you in advance for any advice or opinions on the matter,i look forward to your responses and wish everyone some happy holidays....😎
    JR, from jackson co, southern indiana

Have you tried using this site? https://jacksonin.wthgis.com/

You have a nearly unlimited amount of places with potential. It takes as much time to find sites with permission as it does to find artifacts but the more sites the better the opportunity to find.
    I hunt all winter as long as the ground is visible. Much less snow where you are at so after good rains or good winds worth a try.
    Searching the fields of NW Indiana and SW Michigan

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      I have not tried your recommendation, but i will, and i thank you!....your right, fortunately , the ground is not covered with snow here yet, it has definitely been more like spring weather!...thanks again...🙂

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      So i just checked out the link you provided, i should have recognized that address or whatever its called, that is one of the sites (i guess its called) that i use for marking my finds and eyeballing the surrounding area....the accompanying map photo includes my exact hunting grounds....shhhh, gotta keep it a secret...lol...
      Last edited by Talkingpoints; 12-17-2021, 11:28 PM.

This is a good thing, Talker! And, eventually, time will show you this. I suffered literal writers’ block numerous times, which was scary because my livelihood depended upon word flow. I learned to change locales (which usually meant moving iPad, books, notes from my library to living room, from living room to bedroom, and back again; and, sometimes I’d end up in our beautiful, huge public library, for days at a time).

Everybody needs a change of scenery. Now, it’s time for yours. In a few weeks, or coupla months, not only will you be telling us about the great new sites you’ve found, you’ll be showing off what you’ve found there. Enjoy the new and unexpected!
    Digging in GA, ‘bout a mile from the Savannah River

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      Thats great advice!, A change of scenery, or a new mindset maybe would surely bring about some positive change...🙂...thank you...😁

Buddy is good place for information..Seriously..
    Floridaboy.

Comment

• Talkingpoints
      Talkingpoints commented
      Editing a comment
      No doubt about that...hes the one that got me started and basically gave me my current hunting grounds, he often talks vaguely about other locations that are productive for him, but i refuse to "steal" a persons location, and with him already giving me his blessing on my/his current most productive area, i just hate to lean on him any further maybe?....
Working...
X