Looking for tips on starting a spot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for tips on starting a spot

Hi there, I have some access to property that has a creek running in the back of it. Most of the area floods very easily but this stream seems to have cut 3 or 4 feet into the sand.

This location is in central FL and I was looking for advice on where to start digging on this land. I don’t have big tools only manual labor (shovels etc) but a few different areas to choose from.

I can dig and sift the creek, or dig into the elevated scrub but it’s very rooty. I can dig the grass outside of the tree line as well.

We get a lot of coyotes and boar that roam this area but the tree line is pretty thin, they roam north and east up into a big wooded area and lake which is out of limits for me.

I am thinking of taking some samples a few feet down to see what the material is like. But I am guessing sand for a good bit because about 2 miles away is an old phosphate mine

Any advice is appreciated! First time digger!

thanks!

Welcome from west central Florida.
    Floridaboy.

Comment

Any of the higher ground there would be good, actually that whole area would be worth digging a few test holes. Be careful digging around roots; they hold artifacts. Looking forward to any pictures of what you find there.
      🐜 🎤 SW Georgia

Comment

Originally posted by antmike915 View Post
        Any of the higher ground there would be good, actually that whole area would be worth digging a few test holes. Be careful digging around roots; they hold artifacts. Looking forward to any pictures of what you find there.
        Any advice how to do a sample dig or any digging advice in general?

Comment

Sample...First go along that zigzag pattern jamming the shovel in as you go.if you hit flint you’ll know that sound..dig..If you don’t hit flint it’s most likely not a site ..Some folks use a probe..And if stop and think a minute and something tells you to dig in a certain area, try it..it’s called instinct searching, sometimes it works, sometimes it don’t

Click image for larger version

Name:	7E009A81-912E-4CEE-8924-0E8AC83E2D99.jpeg
Views:	555
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	608053
          Floridaboy.

Comment

Hal gives solid advice. I'm not from Florida but when digging next to creeks/streams I generally stay on the high ground but probe first. Good luck.
            Near the PA/Ohio state line

Comment

Wow.. Some of that looks like gator country.

Comment

Any update on what happened here? Did you ever find anything good or figure it out??

Comment

Folks find tons of cool fossils in Florida creek’s. Try the highest point up away from the creek out of any possible flood plane . Hav e fun . Use 1/4” hardware cloth to catch everything

Comment

Working...
                  X